Acer CM2241W correction

Home Forums General Discussion Acer CM2241W correction

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bucciagialla
    Participant

what are the best corrections to apply when calibrating the acer cm2241w? I searched around but didn’t find much.

Vincent
    Participant

From manufacturer ICM likely to be WLED PFS AdobeRGB, likde bundled correction for i1Displaypro “HP Z24x”

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Bucciagialla
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, so it is the same as for  benq sw240; I have a colormunki display so the file for the hp z24x would be fine.
    A question if I may, I saw that it is possible to calibrate the monitor 3Dlut with the acer color calibrator software compatible with i1displaypro so a correction file for this colorimeter should be included in this software: what should I look for? and  if there is this file of correction it’s  suitable, or, as for the benq PME, is a wrong one? I don’t know if I’ve been clear enough.

Vincent
    Participant

I have not seen such software from Acer, AFAIK it lacks of HW cal features. If there is such software provide a link, in support web there are only driver and default native gamut ICM.

Without such software all you have is OSD settongs for white point. Grey will be corrected in GPU. GPUs without high bitdepth 1D LUT and dithering are likely to cause banding once grey calibration is loaded into GPU LUT

Bucciagialla
    Participant

Sorry, https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/color-calibrator. And here it  says that it has a 3d lut https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptdcm2 .What do you think about it ?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Bucciagialla.

Vincent
    Participant

Sorry, https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/color-calibrator. And here it  says that it has a 3d lut https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptdcm2 .What do you think about it ?

Same sh*t as dell or benq regarding calibration. Unless monitor grey is near perfect out of the box (Eizo or Nec) you’ll need A LOT of patches in calibration stage (not profiling) to measure all issues in grey color. Also there is the problem with uniformity and low cost means less chance to get a good one but since it’s a 24″ it may be not so difficult.

Regarding EDR corrections it has at least the WLED PFS  that uses calman an other software but the bad one (PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.ccss).
    This file is also on DisplayCAL but as you may see by yourself it contains several samples of WLED PFS variantd with that distinctive double red spike but none of them matches your display primaries. For DisplayCAL use the  other one.
    Depending on your i1d3 firmware data readings using the good one or that bad one may results in none, tiny or big error. It depends on how much  your colorimeter drifts from std observer on the “bad”/non-matching SPD.
    Also most software using Xrite SDK (i1d3SDK.dll) requires i1DisplayPros, not munki display. Device is the same but unlock code (blema Xrite) is different. Is the way Xrite is licensing 3rd parties. You’ll need to buy the pro to use that software… unless Acer hacked the SDK making it the only one SDK free version. Unlikely.

Regarding LUT3D:
    Calibration (grey) is done through 1D lut. Gamut emulation can be done in LUT3D but ACer or Benq or Eizo software won’t use it. Just a simplified version aking to a lut-matrix-lut HW.
    The reason is easy to explain: a 17x17x17 LUT3D requires ~5000 patches of data. So on Benq, Eizo or that Acer software yo’ll be lucky if after calibrating grey it takes 3x3x3.
    3rd party software with access to vendor propietary SDKs light Lightspace or Calman can take such measures, compute LUT3D and using propietary SDK upload computed LUT3D to monitor. DisplayCAL can calculate it too but it cannot upload to monitor, just leave it as a file on PC. Since these 3rd party soft relies on SDK from Xrite (at least Lightspace did in the past) you’ll need to buy an i1Displaypro too…

Anyway, if you manage to get an i1DIsplapro and use Acer software, validate results in DisplayCAL (try first the wrong CCSS, then against the good one).
    Check grey balance against true neutral grey (a*b*=0, check combined range a*b* ~1.5 is noticieable by eye inspection on a non color managed gradient).
    If that grey range is OK, contrast is ok (700-1000:1) and uniformity is OK (<2dC unless corners)… you had luck.

Bucciagialla
    Participant

wow, a compendium.

so a question, when you say “For DisplayCAL use the other one” you mean the hp z24x and when you say “validate results in DisplayCAL (try first the wrong CCSS, then against the good one)” you mean wrong=PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.ccss and goodone = hp z24x?

If you were able to choose, from a pure colorimetric point of view, which panel would you choose between the acer cm2241w and the benq sw240? (I know neither of them but if I want something wide gamut and keep the relationship with my wife I have to choose in this price range).

finally  could I profile the monitor with the acer software and then use dispcal to fix the grays?

Vincent
    Participant

wow, a compendium.

so a question, when you say “For DisplayCAL use the other one” you mean the hp z24x and when you say “validate results in DisplayCAL (try first the wrong CCSS, then against the good one)” you mean wrong=PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.ccss and goodone = hp z24x?

Yes. 1st test with the “bad one” if calibration app aimed properly to WP (which sometiems fail because soem over simplifications) and grey range.
    2nd use the good one to test if WP is ok, if yiu care about this.

If you were able to choose, from a pure colorimetric point of view, which panel would you choose between the acer cm2241w and the benq sw240? (I know neither of them but if I want something wide gamut and keep the relationship with my wife I have to choose in this price range).

Ypu’ll need to search for reviews with objective data:

-review displaycal/prad.de to check color uniformity deltaC and grey range issues in grey after calibration

-review check how many calibration patches it uses to computer lut3d/lut-matrix. Less than 20 per channel in black to primary gamma ramp may be not able to solve grey issues if uncalibratd screen has those issues. Those tricks only work for displays that out of the box, uncalibrated, have excelent grey range.
    For example, ArgyllCMS in slow speed mode takes 12+24+48+96 just to fix grey on “bad behaved” displays, medium speed 12+24+48, etc. Most of these vendor HW cal apps aim for speed.. but with low quality panels that need more work (more patches to locate errors). Internal LUT would be able to calibrate grey  perfectly (1024 entry for 1D LUTs)… but with more measurements.  Marketing/UX teams in those vendor apps do not like their app to be slow even if that means that lots of units of their brand model won’t be usable with that fast HW with low calibration patches.
    It’s funny that sometime they allow you to use a huge number of “profile” patches (after calibration)  but usually calibration patches are fixed and too few.

finally  could I profile the monitor with the acer software and then use dispcal to fix the grays?

Yes. But unless you have a GPU that allows high bitdepth and dithering …banding may appear when fixing grey in GPU.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS