Absolute beginner needs help using Rawtherapee, Affinity Photo and IrfanView

Home Forums Help and Support Absolute beginner needs help using Rawtherapee, Affinity Photo and IrfanView

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Stahlin
    Participant

Hey,

In an attempt to get the best results for my  photography I used the i1 Display with my new LG 27UN83A (same model as LG 27UL850-W). Using the resulting ICC profile with DisplayCAL Profile Loader  actually didn’t really change the colors much, but just the contrast a little bit. Okay, so far so good, I guess the monitor was calibrated quite correctly when I recieved it.

But now I get utterly confused. My normal workflow is to develop my RAW images (from Sony A7ii) with RawTherapee and then I do some touch ups with Affinity Photo. Afterwards I look at them with IrfanView (or Windows Photo). I always had the problem that colours would look a little bit different in RawTherapee and Affinity Photo and I never knew which one was correct.

Do I need to set each individual software to the ICC profile or is this already handled by DisplayCAL Profile Loader through Windows (or GPU driver)? Or do I just leave them at the default settings?

I just edited a picture from my nieces birthday with the new calibration and looking at the final result with other devices such as my Laptop and my cellphone the colors look way off. I was going for a warm skin tone on my nieces face, but then on my other devices the whole picture now just has a pretty nasty yellow tint.

Can someone explain to me how to deal with the ICC profile in RawTherapee and Affinity Photo? Do I just leave everything on default (sRGB) or do I have the use the ICC file create by DisplayCAL?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question.

Best regards and many thanks in advance!

MW
    Participant

IDK about about RawTherapee and Affinity. I use Lightroom and Photoshop and colors are consistent for me. Both are set up to use the DisplayCAL profile default, you need to make sure your software does the same. You might want to try XnView, it’s color management has been well-vetted. Windows photo is not color managed so it can’t be trusted. Other than make sure you are embedding the working color profile on export.

Regarding phones and laptops, they vary a lot, even between identical models. You could profile them with DisplayCAL to remove any doubt.

There’s the issue of varying spectral distributions between displays causing a disparity of the white point if the correction used isn’t a good match. As a minumum you would profile using the generic White LED correction for your LG, better still using a well made correction specific to you display from the user database.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by MW.

Stahlin
    Participant

I use Lightroom and Photoshop and colors are consistent for me. Both are set up to use the DisplayCAL profile default, you need to make sure your software does the same.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. However this is where I get confused.

So, I want to to edit mit photos in the sRGB color space. In order to make sure that my monitor is displaying sRGB correctly I use the i1 Display with DisplayCAL and recieve the ICC file. This ICC file is then used by DisplayCAL Profile Loader to make sure it is always used on a global level on Windows to change the video signal going from my GPU to my monitor to compensate for the monitor’s inaccuracies.

Do I get this part right?

But now, why would I need to apply the ICC file AGAIN in my photo editing software (or what do you mean by “use the DisplayCAL profile default”)? I still just want to edit within the sRGB color space.

MW
    Participant

Not the monitor profile, the images working profile. This can be sRGB, or better still AdobeRGB or ProPhoto in 16-bit for editing precision. For viewing on consumer devices convert to sRGB before final export.

Stahlin
    Participant

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS