4K Monitor Not Covering 99% sRGB

Home Forums Help and Support 4K Monitor Not Covering 99% sRGB

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

I just upgraded to a LG 27UD68 which is considered a 4K monitor. According to specifications, this monitor should cover 99% of the sRGB spectrum (IPS monitor). However, when I do the calibration the report at the end shows that it only covers 95-ish% of the spectrum.

I double checked the calibration on my older Dell U27’s and they both come back as 99%.

On top of that, I’ve also noticed that the screen sort of shifts contrast during calibration, especially when it’s doing the initial measurement for RGB and white, I can distinctly tell that screen is constantly shifting color/contrast. It doesn’t happen with my other monitors.

Any suggestions for fixing these two issues (sRGB spectrum range and shifting)?

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

According to specifications, this monitor should cover 99% of the sRGB spectrum

Manufacturers tend to calculate gamut coverage based on xy chromaticity coordinates, which has the problem that xy space is highly perceptually non-uniform, and color spaces are 3D objects, not 2D. You should view the manufacturer’s claims as nothing more than a rough estimate.

I double checked the calibration on my older Dell U27’s and they both come back as 99%.

For a monitor to have best gamut coverage of any given standard color space, the monitor gamut needs to be larger than that of the standard color space (which is the case with sRGB and the U2713 for example).

On top of that, I’ve also noticed that the screen sort of shifts contrast during calibration

You’ll have to check the monitor manual to figure out how to disable any dynamic dimming/contrast and other functions that may interfere with accurate measurements.

John
    Participant

Makes sense.

Yes, I have the 2713 which are fabulous.

I still can’t find how to disable dynamic dimming/contrast…

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS