3DLUTs for Reshade and Tone curve.

Home Forums General Discussion 3DLUTs for Reshade and Tone curve.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

When creating a 3DLUT for reshade, what tone curve should I set to the LUT? The icc profile I’m currently using has a relative gamma of 2.35, should I leave the tone curve unmodified? Or should I set it to Rec. 1886?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Don’t set the 3D LUT tone curve to the measured gamma of your monitor, that would defeat the purpose. Use either BT.1886 or gamma 2.2.

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

Thank you for the response Florian.

namefaceguy
    Participant

I feel like this depends on the game.  Some developers seem to use 2.4 mostly if its a console game port and some newer games tend to use bt 1886 while  older use 2.2 .  I’ve wanted to create a database with info on what is the proper gamma but It’s only able to be done by trail and error and is still mostly subjective.
    Japanese games in particular seem to tend to be more likely to be 2.4 or higher since Tv’s tend to have higher gamma than pc’s and pc gaming isn’t really big in Japan.   Then again I think it depends a lot on the light in your room.  If anyone else has info on this or if anything I said was incorrect let me know since this is exactly what I have been trying to puzzle out for a while.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It comes down to personal preference mostly. If (and only if) developers calibrate their monitors, the best guess is probably close to what BT.1886 gives you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS