3DLUT madVR questions

Home Forums General Discussion 3DLUT madVR questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

So i recently calibrated my projector and got these results:
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-494.html#post58420396

The key here is that I calibrated against DCI-P3, but my display is only capable of 90% DCI-P3 coverage so if you look at the green saturating tracking, the 75% and 100% are going to be hue shifted.

Another user who normally uses Lightspace to generate 3DLUTs gave me their take on my calibration here:
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-495.html#post58421442

Apparently I may want to try a different rendering intent. Now I of course read the DisplayCAL documentation about all the rendering intents and understand most of it, but what would you knowledgeable users suggest given my case?

I am a little confused between if I want “Perceptual appearance” or perhaps “Saturation or “Preserve Saturation”.

Anyone have any insight?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

“Perceptual appearance” seems to be most in line with what you seem to be after (compress colors to fit inside display gamut where necessary, keep in-gamut colors intact as far as possible, match target whitepoint).

SirMaster
    Participant

Thanks again!

I will certainly try out the other rendering intents and can then easily toggle back and forth in madVR to see which I prefer.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by SirMaster.

SirMaster
    Participant

I tried pretty much every rendering intent, but “Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling” seemed to be the best.

I posted a few results here and included only the ones worth posting. The other rendering intents not included were even worse and jus tnot worth mentioning.

I’m not entirely sure what the lightspace guys are talking about, but it seems what they are saying is not possible in DisplayCAL. Though I am not sure it would be better even if it were possible. I’m not sure how it would even work moving the green primary for example in line with the saturation line without shrinking the gamut.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS