3DLUT for Resolve, GUI monitor

Home Forums Help and Support 3DLUT for Resolve, GUI monitor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Gianluca.M.
    Participant

Hello!

I’m trying to calibrate my monitor “dell u2515h” and create a 3D LUT for davinci reolve. My goal is  to have a more accurate preview in the davinci gui monitor.

So i chose the preset “Video(D65, Rec 1886)  And I just changed tone curve from rec 1886 to  gamma 2.2. And I created a icc profile

After creating the profile  i have enabled  3D LUT for make a lut for davinci.  So in 3D LUT tab I put same setting of preset ” video 3d lut for resolve (D65…..)” , I have just unchecked ” Apply calibration (vcgt) and i chose gamma 2.2 as tone curve.  So i created a  3d lut from previous profile . Then in davinci I opened an old project and in the box called “3d video monitor lookuptable” i chose the 3d lut  Which I had created before. But nothing happen in GUI monitor, it look the same as before.

So i create another 3d lut from the same profile but this time i chose rec 1886 gamma 2.4 as tone curve.  After import it. the preview in  gui monitor change, in the video, the blacks appear  less close. more natural very similar to Adobe after affect preview with color management on.

The question is . 3d LUT now have different tone curve compared to the calibration profile (rec 1886 3DLUT,  instead  gamma 2.2 for the Icc profile) is it the same thing? for better accuracy in the gui preview,  the tone curve of the calibrated icc profile and 3dLUT should be the same?

Is it better if i upload my settings in zip file generated by displaycal?

Sorry for my very bad english.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Then in davinci I opened an old project and in the box called “3d video monitor lookuptable” i chose the 3d lut Which I had created before. But nothing happen in GUI monitor, it look the same as before.

Normally if you don’t set a specific 3D LUT for the GUI monitor, Resolve will use the video monitor 3D LUT (if any). If the result with and without 3D LUT looks the same, then your monitor probably already conforms pretty well to the chosen 3D LUT parameters.

So i create another 3d lut from the same profile but this time i chose rec 1886 gamma 2.4 as tone curve. After import it. the preview in gui monitor change

That seems to confirm the assumption I made above.

The question is . 3d LUT now have different tone curve compared to the calibration profile (rec 1886 3DLUT, instead gamma 2.2 for the Icc profile) is it the same thing?

Not sure I understand the question, but when different parameters are used, it won’t be the same.

for better accuracy in the gui preview, the tone curve of the calibrated icc profile and 3dLUT should be the same?

That’s not required but it generally makes sense to use the same 1D calibration parameters (if any) and 3D LUT parameters.

Gianluca.M.
    Participant

Thanks you Florian for the support.  Now everything is more clear.

the problem now is just that, same video in adobe after effects and davinci resolve look differently even with similar settings. but I think it’s another matter.

I think I have to learn how to use both software in the right way.

Gianluca.M.
    Participant

ok now I feel like such a fool.  my intent is to have a more accurate preview in  the resolve  GUI viewer so in the main screen,  no  in to another secondary monitor.

I apologize for my mistake  but my poor English does not help me.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

the problem now is just that, same video in adobe after effects and davinci resolve look differently even with similar settings. but I think it’s another matter.

I’m not sure if after effects is color managed, and if it is, what parameters it uses (Rec 709 BT.1886, gamma 2.2, sRGB, something else entirely?)

Gianluca.M.
    Participant

I’m not an expert.  from what I understood Adobe after effects can handle various types of profile. Rec 709  gamma 2.2, sRGB IEC61966-2.1,  Rec 2020 and others… or a custom icc profile. The problem is that if i chose rec 709 gamma 2.2  in both software the previews are different from each other. In davinci resolve GUI viewer the black and shadows are more dark/closes almost in clips, instead in after effects  the shadows are brighter. anyway.  In the adobe web site i  found this faq  about after effects color management:

-An input color profile is used to convert each footage item from its color space into the working color space. A footage item may contain an embedded input color profile, or you can assign the input color profile in the Interpret Footage dialog box or interpretation rules file. (See Interpret a footage item by assigning an input color profile.)
    -After Effects performs all of its color operations in the working color space. You assign a working color space (project working space) in the Project Settings dialog box. (See Choose a working color space and enable color management.)
    -Colors are converted from the working color space to the color space of your computer monitor through the monitor profile. This conversion ensures that your composition will look identical on two different monitors, if the monitors have been properly profiled. This conversion does not change the data within the composition. You can choose whether to convert colors for your monitor using the View > Use Display Color Management menu command. (See Enable or disable display color management.)
    -Optionally, After Effects uses a simulation profile to show you on your computer monitor how the composition will look in its final output form on a different device. You control output simulation for each view through the View > Simulate Output menu. (See Simulate how colors will appear on a different output device.)
    -An output color profile for each output module is used to convert the rendered composition from the working color space to the color space of the output medium. You choose an output color profile in the Output Module Settings dialog box. (See Assign an output color profile.)
    -By default when you use color management, After Effects automatically adjusts colors to compensate for the differences in gamma between scene-referred color profiles and output-referred color profiles. (See Gamma and tone response.)

Thank you Florian for the time you have dedicated to me.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

instead in after effects the shadows are brighter

When using Rec709 gamma 2.2 in After Effects, it probably does the same thing that Photoshop does, which is it uses sRGB instead. The annoying thing with Adobe is that they do not document this behavior anywhere.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS