3DLUT convert HDR -> SDR produces a very dark picture

Home Forums Help and Support 3DLUT convert HDR -> SDR produces a very dark picture

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dj gigi
    Participant

Hi,

I have a Sony VW360EX projector in a room totatement black.
    And I’m using MPC-BE + madVR and I have probes i1 DisplayPro + i1 Pro 2 for calibration with last version of DisplayCal (with madTPG ).

If I look at the attached Measurement Report  for the BT709 and the HDR, I get pretty good results.
    But when I watch a real movie, in BT709, it’s very good, but on the other hand in HDR, it’s really very dark and too saturated

So I guess I must be doing something wrong, but I just use the setting : Video 3D LUT for madVR HDR(D65, Rec.2020 / SMTP/BT.2390) by defaut and I change in the 3D LUT setting the “target peak luminacance” to 300cd/m3 due to the low luminosity of my projector.

Do you have any idea why my image is getting so dark in HDR?

Thanks
    Dj gigi

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the target peak luminance should be set close to your actual display peak luminance. As projectors are usually comparatively dim, this means choosing about 100 cd/m2. You may want to look at madVR’s dynamic tone mapping instead of using a HR to SDR 3D LUT.

dj gigi
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the recommendation to use “madVR’s dynamic tone mapping” instead.
    Just to make me sure about what we’re talking, you’re advising me to use this program: madMeasureHDRDynamicOptimizer ?

On the same subject, I also noticed that madVR did not take the 3dLUT I created for HDR, at the launch of a film in HDR, I have a message in the “madVR reports” telling me that the: 3dlut file was not found.
    So it loads the one for SDR….

Any idea,
    Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

madMeasureHDRDynamicOptimizer ?

No, just enable “let madVR do HDR tone mapping using shaderS” in madVR preferences (I’m not sure madMeasureHDRDynamicOptimizer is still needed, better ask that in a madVR-specific thread over at AVSforum or doom9).

I have a message in the “madVR reports” telling me that the: 3dlut file was not found.

Did you install it after creating it?

dj gigi
    Participant

@Florian,

OK, thank you so much for your help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS