3D Lut Maker Gamma Behaviour

Home Forums Help and Support 3D Lut Maker Gamma Behaviour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rodrigo Silvestri
    Participant

Hi. I’m using Displaycal to create some LUTs, I was testing between different gammas and noticed that the gamma setting in the 3d Lut Maker is working weird:

I’m exporting the same target profile with 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 gammas and sometimes after clicking “Create 3d lut” the setting goes back to 2.4, and I don’t see the gamma changes applied to the LUT.

I exported all the alternatives between absolute, relative, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, BOO 100% and BOO 0%, I tested the results looking at a waveform, applying the LUT to a grayscale ramp, and the curve changes slightly but the gray stays in the same place (not the change I’d expect trying between 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 gammas).

The gray in Absolute 0% is the same in all the gammas, it is slightly brighter than all the other grays.

I tried this using a source profile I created with the synthetic profile creator, and also with P3 source profile.

I’ll upload some of the LUTs. Please tell me if I’m doing anything wrong here. Thanks!

Rodrigo.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Are you using Mac OS X? There’s a long-standing wxPython bug under OS X where “focus lost” events don’t fire for combo boxes in some cases – a workaround is to explicity tab out of the text field after changing it.

Rodrigo Silvestri
    Participant

Nope. I’m on Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.

I tried again tabbing out, the resulting LUT always moves the 50% gray to the same value, no matter the gamma selected or profile. Actually between all the combinations, I get a slightly higher gray on “absolute, 0% b.o.o.”, but it’s the same gray for all the gammas. All the other combinations bring a lower gray,  but I can only get these two levels of gray, only changing those values, gamma or profile (tried rec709 and P3) doesn’t affect it.

I tried the Unmodified and “Apply black output offset” options  and they do work, the 50% gray is lower with those settings.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, I certainly can’t reproduce the issue – e.g. if I set the 3D LUT maker tone curve gamma to 2.6, and create a 3D LUT, it stays at 2.6.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS