3D LUT: Creating and application

Home Forums Help and Support 3D LUT: Creating and application

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

noco
    Participant

Hi,

I recently tried to create and apply a 3D LUT with Dispcal for the use mainly with MPC HC. First I will show you my settings in Dispcal
    http://img293.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=996069565_1_122_388lo.JPG
    http://img224.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=996071481_2_122_917lo.JPG
    http://img250.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=996072240_3_122_505lo.JPG

Question 1:
    When creating the 3D LUT I unfortunately get this error massage
    http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=996073908_4_122_536lo.JPG
    I then changed the Input/output encoding to “TV RGB 16-235” and it worked, but I thought REC709 was the setting to use for HD Video?

Question 2:
    After creating and saving the 3D LUT I tried to apply it to Windows 7 Color Management and have it loaded via Dispcal Profile Loader. So I right clicked the saved ICC File and installed it to Windows as usual. But then I wasn’t able to assign the Profile to my Display (see screenshot)
    http://img188.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=996606619_5_122_150lo.JPG

Any ideas whats wrong here?
    I’d really appreciate your help,

Greets Nico.

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by noco.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I thought REC709 was the setting to use for HD Video?

You selected YCbCr encoding, but 3D LUTs are usually RGB in -> RGB out.

After creating and saving the 3D LUT I tried to apply it to Windows 7 Color Management

You can’t apply a 3D LUT to Windows Color Management. The correct way to install the profile is to select your actual display on the “Display & instrument” tab in DisplayCAL and click the small “Install profile” button next to “Settings”.

noco
    Participant

Thanks for your Answer!

I thought REC709 was the setting to use for HD Video?

You selected YCbCr encoding, but 3D LUTs are usually RGB in -> RGB out.

I’m afraid I don’t understand what this option actually does. (though I read the Tutorial many times..)

Is it a problem to select RGB 16-235 although I want to use the LUT for HD Video content?

You can’t apply a 3D LUT to Windows Color Management. The correct way to install the profile is to select your actual display on the “Display & instrument” tab in DisplayCAL and click the small “Install profile” button next to “Settings”.

Okay, I didn’t know that 3D LUT can’t be applied to Windows Color Management. So if I want to use it I have to apply it to my video renderer and have to disable “Apply calibration (vcgt)” when the other profile is already applied to Windows?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is it a problem to select RGB 16-235 although I want to use the LUT for HD Video content?

No, that is the right choice.

So if I want to use it I have to apply it to my video renderer and have to disable “Apply calibration (vcgt)” when the other profile is already applied to Windows?

If you’re using madVR, “Apply calibration (vcgt)” should stay enabled. madVR will then be able to ensure the correct calibration state.

S Simeonov
    Participant

I have a question about correction about 3dlut for madvr,I calibrated my monitor using “auto” correction – Xrite i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display & Dell DELL U2913WM (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccmx, when I make the 3dlut if I select auto it chooses this correction – madVR (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccss. Do I have to chose the same correction for the 3dlut etc. “Xrite i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display & Dell DELL U2913WM (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccmx”, or I should use this – “madVR (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccss”? For the 3dlut I’ll use your video with “auto-optimized” 1553 patches – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jrdz5oDUyw

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by S Simeonov.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

madVR (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccss

This one comes from the online database, and unfortunately the user that created it didn’t put a description of the actual display make & model or technology, which makes the correction useless for others. I therefore try to delete those corrections from the database whenever I notice them, but this one slipped through (until now).

S Simeonov
    Participant

madVR (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccss

This one comes from the online database, and unfortunately the user that created it didn’t put a description of the actual display make & model or technology, which makes the correction useless for others. I therefore try to delete those corrections from the database whenever I notice them, but this one slipped through (until now).

That’s good, inaccurate corrections should be deleted, so I guess I’ll use the correction from my calibration (Xrite i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display & Dell DELL U2913WM (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro).ccmx) for the 3dlut.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That’s good, inaccurate corrections should be deleted

It’s not necessarily inaccurate, but when someone creates a correction through madVR/madTPG then he/she really needs to add information about the display (it can’t be added automatically when going through madVR) because otherwise it’s impossible to know which display model the correction applies to.

S Simeonov
    Participant

That’s good, inaccurate corrections should be deleted

It’s not necessarily inaccurate, but when someone creates a correction through madVR/madTPG then he/she really needs to add information about the display (it can’t be added automatically when going through madVR) because otherwise it’s impossible to know which display model the correction applies to.

I see 🙂

S Simeonov
    Participant

Today I’ve tried color clipping mp4 test file to test my 3dlut in madvr, and it has clipping colors from 237 to 241, here is the link to the sample http://www94.zippyshare.com/v/LpW3uwXF/file.html , is it possible to be fixed somehow?

S Simeonov
    Participant

Any help will be appreciated 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Today I’ve tried color clipping mp4 test file to test my 3dlut in madvr, and it has clipping colors from 237 to 241

That’s to be expected, if WtW is out-of-gamut after applying a 3D LUT, then it’ll be (sometimes partially) clipped. It’s not an issue for normal video material (movies) though, as they should not contain WtW information. Btw, if you want to clip WtW unconditionally, you can try to enable the madVR option “enable windowed overlay” (settings -> rendering -> general), see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584#post1709584

S Simeonov
    Participant

Today I’ve tried color clipping mp4 test file to test my 3dlut in madvr, and it has clipping colors from 237 to 241

That’s to be expected, if WtW is out-of-gamut after applying a 3D LUT, then it’ll be (sometimes partially) clipped. It’s not an issue for normal video material (movies) though, as they should not contain WtW information. Btw, if you want to clip WtW unconditionally, you can try to enable the madVR option “enable windowed overlay” (settings -> rendering -> general), see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584#post1709584

Well, if it doesn’t affect movies, then it won’t be a concern, I was just wondering why it clips these colors 🙂

Thank you.

Mark Appleton
    Participant

I am also having trouble applying 3DLUTs/ICC profiles.

Basically, I create the profile, verify it, apply it via dispcal, but the gamma curves are not mapped. The only time the gamma curves are correct if I re-verify the profile with dispcal; if I close dispcal, the gamma resets to what it was before. Is this due to the “apply calibration (vcgt)” setting? Do I need to enable this and reset the gamma curve before I apply the profile?

M.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The only time the gamma curves are correct if I re-verify the profile with dispcal; if I close dispcal, the gamma resets to what it was before.

You have the install the profile to the system. On the “Display & instrument” tab, select your actual display device. Then click the “Install profile” button next to “Settings”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS