3 Monitor Suite Part 1

Home Forums Help and Support 3 Monitor Suite Part 1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

thunkster
    Participant

Hi, I have a multi-use edit/grade suite. I have a LG35UM95 for the Mac Pro GUi, a TVLogic LVM242W HD broadcast monitor as a grading/viewing monitor and consumer 4K  LG49UB820T as a client monitor. I use a Blackmagicdeisgn UltraStudio 4K as video output via SDI and HDMI to the TVlogic and the LG client monitor respectively. What is the best way to calibrate and match the 2 LGs to the TVlogic using Davinci Resolve?

The intention is to calibrate the TVlogic to be as accurate as possible when displaying Rec709/Rec1886 Gamma2.4, then have the 2 LGs match visually at least to the calibrated Tvlogic. Thanks in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

match the whitepoints to your reference display (i.e. the TVlogic in your case) using the visual whitepoint editor. Then follow the Resolve guide in the Wiki. As all of your displays seem to be IPS-based with around 1000:1 contrast, my recommendation is to use gamma 2.4 with 100% output offset for the 3D LUTs (tone curve).

thunkster
    Participant

Thanks for your reply , Florian. Can I say that the white point editor, using gamma 2.4 with 100 %offset is for matching to the tvlogic only? And I shouldn’t set white and black level as well?

If I want to specifically calibrate my tvlogic 1st, Should I set the white point at 6500k/daylight?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, calibrate the TVlogic first. You can set a whitepoint target of chromaticity coordinates x 0.3127 y 0.329 there (Rec. 709 standard, D65 equivalent).

thunkster
    Participant

Hi Florian, can I use adapt the Resolve setting in DisplayCal to calibrate a TVlogic when editing with FCPX?

I was thinking of using the Resolve setting Tone curve 1886 @ 6500K to meaure and calibrate the TVlogic to create a 3D LUT.  After that I will load the lut in to a LUT box and that will sit between the monitor and the Blackmagicdeisgn video card. Will this work? Any is there any setting I need to change/look out for?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That should work.

thunkster
    Participant

Hi Florian

my recommendation is to use gamma 2.4 with 100% output offset for the 3D LUTs (tone curve).

When you said 100% offset, did you mean setting the offset in in teh calibration panel or only when creating the 3D out?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The 3D LUT tab, not the calibration tab.

thunkster
    Participant

So after profile and calibration, what is the setting for Verification when I load the created lut into a lutbox that sit between the monitor and the resolve test pattern?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Should already be setup correctly after creating the 3D LUT. Verification settings have to match those on the 3D LUT tab. When using a LUT box, disable “device link profile” (this option is only for Resolve when not going through a LUT box, as Resolve never applies the LUT to test patches).

thunkster
    Participant

If I want to load the lut into the lutbox to test? Do I need to change the verification settings?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Like I said, should already be set correctly except devicelink setting (simulation profile = same as 3D LUT source colorspace, use as display profile enabled, tone curve = same as 3D LUT tone curve, devicelink disabled)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS