2 new identical XPS 15 7590 have a different tint

Home Forums Help and Support 2 new identical XPS 15 7590 have a different tint

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Pavel
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I bought 2 new DELL XPS 15 7590 with 4K IPS touch display and in default or even after calibrating with X-Rite i1 Display Pro + DisplayCAL they have both different tints. One looks I’d say all right maybe just little bit more magenta when comparing side by side, and the other one looks green. However because I still don’t understand much how all the calibration works can you please answer my questions?

1. Shouldn’t both laptops have same reproductions of colours, tint and white balance in default (out of the box) as they are absolutely identical?
    2. If not, shouldn’t calibration solve this issue and both screens should then look the same?
    3. I’m able to partly solve it by changing RGB sliders in Intel Graphic Command Center. Is this something that everyone needs to do regardless of correct calibration via DisplayCAL ? Or it something that I shouldn’t need to do at all?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Pavel.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I bought 2 new DELL XPS 15 7590 with 4K IPS touch display and in default or even after calibrating with X-Rite i1 Display Pro + DisplayCAL they have both different tints. One looks I’d say all right maybe just little bit more magenta when comparing side by side, and the other one looks green. However because I still don’t understand much how all the calibration works can you please answer my questions?

1. Shouldn’t both laptops have same reproductions of colours, tint and white balance in default (out of the box) as they are absolutely identical?
    2. If not, shouldn’t calibration solve this issue and both screens should then look the same?

In center where colorimeter is placed? they should be close since backlight spectral power distribution is close. Contrast can be different. Also two unit of the same laptop may have different whites out of the box, “different” gains of the same basic R+G+B spectral power distribution. This is going to be corrected in GPU LUT by calibration IF you choose the same color coordinates as calibration target (IDNK if you did it or you chose “native”). That caibration data is going to be loaded into GPU LUT with in laptops is usually limited to 8bit depth, so there is a rounding error.

Across all the screen? uniformity issues may show an overall different color cast to your eyes. There is nothing you can do about it if display has not some uniformity compensation.

So uniformity issues + GPU limitations + calibration tolerance can play a role here.

If you chose “native” whte point during calibration then you intructed DisplayCAL in a explicit way to do not correct white… hence different whites in your laptops.

1. I’m able to partly solve it by changing RGB sliders in Intel Graphic Command Center. Is this something that everyone needs to do regardless of correct calibration via DisplayCAL ? Or it something that I shouldn’t need to do at all?

Do not use GPU controls, choose one calibrated laptop as reference, then go to the other one and use visual whitepoint editor (icon nexto to white point selector). This way correction to white will be included in ICC profile (VCGT tag) instead of ICC profile + GPU controls.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS