1DLUT only?

Home Forums General Discussion 1DLUT only?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

This might be a dumb question, but is there any way to just make a high quality 1DLUT only?

When you run DisplayCAL “normally” the button is “Calibrate & Profile”

If we are using non color managed apps, then only the “Calibrate” part is even taking effect via the vcgt. Is there a way to skip the “Profile” step?

I realize that the profile part is not really detrimental as it will just not be used, it just wastes time.

But that bring me to my next question, of also extending this to a madVR 3DLUT. Is there a way to make a 3DLUT for madVR that only contains a 1DLUT? All I want to calibrate is white balance and gamma.

Calibrating color in 3DLUT in some cases like on my projector that is only 90% DCI-P3 can lead to posterization and the color tracking is fine as is when the white balance is calibrated, so ideally i’d like to just leave color alone and only do a white balance and gamma calibration.

Is this possible, or is my understanding about this stuff just way of base?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by SirMaster.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by SirMaster.

Vincent
    Participant

For desktop, if you just want a 1DLUT gray calibration use the simplest profile “matrix” with 1TRC (3TRC are equal): matrix+single curve or gamma+matrix and the lowest number of patches.
    This way you can keep using DislayCAL tray calibration loader.

If you wish to make an innacurate LUT3D (in “colorspace volume”) and just want to fix some kind of “idealized” colorspace transformations like render a Rec709 video in a P3 display, then use a simple & idealized profile like the one I show above, but remember to apply VCGT when making such LUT3D (because TRC in profile used to make the LUT3D is like in an idealized perfectly neutral grey)

If you wish to show P3 content in a 90% P3 projector without colorspace to colorspace corrections/cliping/perceptual etc … you’ll end with desaturated colors in P3 that your display can actually show.
    Let’s asume that you do not care about that. In that particular situation you can make a synthetic P3 profile and attach VCGT from “.cal” 1DLUT calibration but AFAIK you’ll have to do it in commandline with ArgyllCMS tools.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS