16″ Macbook Pro calibration set-up

Home Forums General Discussion 16″ Macbook Pro calibration set-up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paul Anderegg
    Participant

I’ve read through the FAQ (I am not 100% comprehending all of the settings), and read through a few similar postings here, and threw a half dozen calibrations at the Macbooks built in WCG P3 monitor, but none really look”right”, or completely similar to the iProfiler generated profiles (iProfiler profiles always come out a tad greenish).  In particular, I seem to have the most variance in black and shadow reproduction.  I use the Macbook for editing video in FCPX, so shadow handling is pretty important, as the Color LCD stock profile has massive black crush, and if I raise or lower my edited blacks according to innacurate profiling, it just ruins the end product.

So I work in REC709 SDR on FCPX, using just the built in P3 WCG capable 16″ display panel.  Could someone recommend all the proper settings to profile this Mac for optimal REC709 video display?  My REC709 DisplayCal passes were some of the worst, with strange elevated blacks that looked really flat and crushed and milky compared to the 2.2 passes.

Paul

Vincent
    Participant

I’ve read through the FAQ (I am not 100% comprehending all of the settings), and read through a few similar postings here, and threw a half dozen calibrations at the Macbooks built in WCG P3 monitor, but none really look”right”, or completely similar to the iProfiler generated profiles (iProfiler profiles always come out a tad greenish).

There are some unknowns.
    -Which measurement device?
    -if colorimeter which correction? The closest one (but different green) in i1Profiler would be WLED PFS (equivalent to DisplayCAL WLED PFS 95% P3)
    -if i1Profiler results have a green tint on white point, why di you use it as reference to figure if DisplayCAL results are good or not?
    -Was there a whitepoint target for i1Profiler?

In particular, I seem to have the most variance in black and shadow reproduction.  I use the Macbook for editing video in FCPX, so shadow handling is pretty important, as the Color LCD stock profile has massive black crush, and if I raise or lower my edited blacks according to innacurate profiling, it just ruins the end product.

Does FCPX use the same color management engine as MacOS desktop? It has bugs and severe oversimplifications. If it uses the same, and I would say it does, you need to use DisplayCAL’s default settings.

So I work in REC709 SDR on FCPX, using just the built in P3 WCG capable 16″ display panel.  Could someone recommend all the proper settings to profile this Mac for optimal REC709 video display?  My REC709 DisplayCal passes were some of the worst, with strange elevated blacks that looked really flat and crushed and milky compared to the 2.2 passes.

Paul

It is possible for you to use free Davinci Resolve with a LUT3D and some basic color saturation test or actual footage and compare it to what your FPCX shows?
    That way you may find if it is an issue related to macos color management engine

Vincent
    Participant

Edit to last paragraph: And a gradient of course.

Paul Anderegg
    Participant

I am using a i1D3 meter…I was hoping someone who has sucessfully calibrated a newer Macbook Pro wuld have settings they found that work for this application.  Al the REC709 I am blasting out now, have extremely elevated black shadow areas, even on the desktop, which almost looks like viewing studio levels on a PC levels display.

Paul

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

If you have an i1d3:
    i1Profiler : redo with WLED PFS correction (which is not the accurate one but close)
    DisplayCAL: use Mac P3 display WLED PFS (actual one) or the same as you use in i1Profiler (labeled like WLED PFS 95% P3). If you use the 2nd one and use the same target on the two apps whitepoint measured by i1Profiler and DisplayCAL will be the same. But the good one is the 1st correction (WLED PFS Mac P3)

Now about FCPX, as said before if it uses macos color engine… it is faulty. You need to use the highly idealized profiles that DisplayCAL setups by default on Macos lo lower tha chances of these issues.

Also try to see the same video footage “as it should” using DavinciResolve free version and a LUT3D made with DisplayCAL. If it shows OK but FCPX does not, Apple seems to be the culprit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS