‎24G2U/BK Calibration Help

Home Forums Help and Support ‎24G2U/BK Calibration Help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

KKeranov
    Participant

Hello, everyone! I am a hobbyist, who’s new to calibration, and would like to ask you for help. I have a ‎24G2U/BK, which as far as I understand, has wide color gamut support. I tried calibrating it with my cheap Spyder5PRO. However, post-calibration I get really washed out colors and some artifacts on pure black, which resemble banding, but I am not sure that’s what they are. Attached you will find my DisplayCAL settings and my verification results.

Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

Consider upgrading to i1 Display series for better near black accuracy (and wider support for current and future tech). I got ~1500:1 contrast ratio on three 24G2U I tested. In the mean time you could try resetting the monitor to rule out OSD settings limiting contrast. If the Spyder underreports contrast the profiles near-black output will be more more gray than it needs to be.

Either way use DisplayCal profile loading to reduce banding. Gamma 2.2 is a better choice than sRGB tone curve because it closer to the native output. Alternatively select tone curve:as measured, it works well with novideo_srgb if you have a Nvidia GPU.

KKeranov
    Participant

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I am fairly certain it’s not the monitor settings causing this. Setting the Gamma to 2.2 instead of the sRGB profile sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try! If it doesn’t work, it’s probably the cheap Spyder I have, as you said. I will upgrade to a better colorimeter in the future when I purchase a higher-end monitor, but for now the price just does not seem worth it, especially since I do not do much color-critical work. I will report back when I calibrate with the new settings. Thanks again!

KKeranov
    Participant

Alright, me again. My issue has been resolved! Instead of using the sRGB preset, I set the Whitepoint to 6500K, the White Level to 120 cd/m2 and the Gamma to 2.2 . The colors look great now and the blacks are even deeper than before. I also can’t see the artifacts from before. My Spyder5 still reports a contrast of 1200:1, which is, as far as I understand, unlikely. I will upgrade to something better in the future. Is there a slightly cheaper alternative to the i1 Display Pro, which does a good job? I am by no means a professional, so it doesn’t have to be something amazing, just better than the Spyder.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

Is there a slightly cheaper alternative to the i1 Display Pro, which does a good job? I am by no means a professional, so it doesn’t have to be something amazing, just better than the Spyder.

Yes, Colorchecker Display/i1Display Studio.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by MW.

Kalwant
    Participant

Hi KKeranov

I have a 24G2U/BK and it is superb. Post calibration, the colours, contrast and overball balance look truly excellent. I managed to get a contrast ratio of 1456:1, a white point of 6506K and a measured black luminance of 0.0777 cd/m² using a i1Display Pro Plus. Self check report enclosed.

Regards

Kalwant

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

Nice one. I still use and like mine: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/reply/34875/ I haven’t seen anything that looks better at it’s price point. Just requires that you get a good one, they changed the backlight multiple times. I’ve attached my reports in the other threads. If you can provide you uniformity report, and the first three letters of the serial number it would be help others.

Also Kalwant, you should use the PFS Phosphor Panasonic CCSS correction with this display for a correct white point.

Kalwant
    Participant

Hi MW

That’s useful info, I didn’t know that! The first three letters of the serial number are: ATN. Regarding the uniformity report, unfortunately I’ve unplugged it all now and replaced it with a newer monitor. If I get it set back up, I’ll definitely post it on here.

Regarding the new monitor,  AOC Q27G2S, initial calibration doesn’t look great. I’ll do a full calibration but it’s appearing a little yellow and the contrast ratio is a lowly circa 950:1.

KKeranov
    Participant

Hi, Kalwant!

I am a bit late to the party, but thank you for sharing your results!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS