XB271HUB Calibration and 3D Lut settings for Gaming

Home Forums General Discussion XB271HUB Calibration and 3D Lut settings for Gaming

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Amon
    Participant

Hey fellas, im brand new in the calibration world so first of all thanks for the software and for your comprehension if i say/ask wrong things (plus im french, but that, I know, is  unforgivable) !

I have an Acer XB271HUB 27″ IPS panel, and I recently bought an i1 Display Pro Plus to calibrate it the best way possible, mostly for gaming (yeah i know this kind of device might be an overkill for my usage, but i see it as an invest)

I spent a lot of times reading forums and watching videos to understand and do my best with this objective in mind, but I still have tons of questions and doubts regarding what I’m doing.
    Even after many calibrations done the last past days, it seems that Youtube videos of the games I play have better color, and most of all better contrast, than what I see in the same games on my same screen (might it be some editing from the youtubers ?  the fact that the calibration works with Youtube but that MY games override this calibration ?)
    As im not a printer nor a photographer, i dont mind if the rendering is not 100% accurate with the standards. I just want something “HDR-like” (dont kill me please), vivid colors and beautifuls shadows depths (the best possible regarding the IPS technology).

First of all I use a correction matrix someone made, I picked the one whith the “best values” I could find  when I clicked on the small “planet” icon. I dont know if i should rather stick with the default “spectral one for the white led LCD screens (AC,LG, Samsung). It justs seems to give me better results, especially with the contrast ratio.

Secondly, i dont know what are the best calibration settings regarding what I want : I want the best contrast ratio possible and vivid colors.

For the Whitepoint, i usually run a small Caracterisation test to see whats the measured Whitepoint with the cd/m² I want.
    For exemple, if I want 300 cd/m², I set 300 cd/m² in the White level box. Then hit “calibrate and profile, I adjust the brightness and RGB settings in my screen OSD to match the White level i want.
    Then I leave the pre-test, come back to the Calibration menu and set the Whitepoint at 6400 or 6500K depending which is the closest one to the measured one during the test. Then i write my profiles’ name according to these values (as you can see in the images).

I used to set the Tone Curve at “Gamma 2.2” with the slowest calibration speed (44 minutes) but I read that Rec.1886 with gamma 2.4 might be better for what I want (most of all gaming/ and watching movies).

To sum it up, shalI I leave it all to “As-measured” to get the best contrast and colors ? Or my custom method works  ? Whats the best Tone curve to pick with my usage ?

Concerning Test charts, i mostly pick between 2060 and  3454 patches, even when the recommend ones are way smaller (425, 596). Same with the verification testchart, i pick the XXXL one with 989 patches.
    Am i overkilling it once again ?

And i want to create a 3D Lut that I could inject with Reshade, is it correct to create a 65x65x65 one, in Rec709 ITU-R BT.709n colorspace save in .cube format ?

Thanks in advance for all of the answers, I’m really willing to learn as its all brand new (and passionating) to me ! 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

-avoid correction matrices unless you did them (hence not downloaded), use spectral corrections instead, 3nm if available, also check that user that uploaded them don’t use some emulated gamut OSD preset if you have a P3 display or another widegamut (you may see that some channels appear to be the combination of others, avoid those CCSS)

-do not use Rec1886 on an IPS display. Google what it is, it’s not meant for such low contrast display. If you want that use 2.4 instead.

-if you have a gaming display with serious issues in uncalibrated grey ramp and you want a deskstop calibration for all kind of apps, do not use calibration speed to high

-for most games or movies or tv shows Rec709 as source colospace seems the best choice.

Amon
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the answer Vincent !

I seem to have better results with with the matrix another guy made while seeking a 2.4 gamma, as shown on the pictures here, any idea why ?
    I always use the slowest calibration speed, big patches number (2000-3000+) and same for verification (900+), I think it would be hard to be more cautios
    And when I go for a Rec709 Tone curve, it asks me to use determine the ambient light with my i1 Display Pro Plus, but when I  do so, its shows something like 750 lumens in the room I stand, and the results are super washed up.
    I tried without the ambient light measurement, same result. So i sticked with the gamme 2.2 tonecurved wich i customized at 2.4 and got the results here, it would be the best I could get ?

And my finale question is : I picked up 300 cd/m² as my white level, perfect by day with the ambient light in my room (the sun flows through a window at the right, behind my monitor), but is it harmful to use such a high cd/m² at night in a dimmer room ?
    Thanks a lot in advance for the answers 🙂

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the answer Vincent !

I seem to have better results with with the matrix another guy made while seeking a 2.4 gamma, as shown on the pictures here, any idea why ?

Does not matter. They are not portable. They may mach by chance. Also your claim is based on a report comparison done in the wrong way: One correction is better than another if their measurements match better a reference instrument (or even in a more relaed way your hints about what D65 white should look like).
    You compare them in a wrong way: you are testing their own resukts compared against themselves based on different OSD settings in which your particular display may behave wrose (even with a reference device taking measurements)

And when I go for a Rec709 Tone curve, it asks me to use determine the ambient light with my i1 Display Pro Plus, but when I  do so, its shows something like 750 lumens in the room I stand, and the results are super washed up.

You should not choose that. No one say that. No tutorial says that. Rec709 TRC is not meant for viewing content in displays.

And my finale question is : I picked up 300 cd/m² as my white level, perfect by day with the ambient light in my room (the sun flows through a window at the right, behind my monitor), but is it harmful to use such a high cd/m² at night in a dimmer room ?

IDNK is yours to decide yor reference white brightness.
    It’s very unlikely that a display with 0.3nit black would look OK most people’s rooms for vieweing multimedia content, but most people rooms have less ambient light. A dining room may need such high nits fo white… like SDR TVs… but TVs usually have VA panels so their black level is much lower than yours, about 3x darker.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Amon
    Participant

Thanks again for the awnser, so to sum it up :

I should stick to the spectral WLED correction no matter what, stick to gamma 2.2/2.4 tone curve (and dont use REC709 nor 1886) and the cd/m² is up to my personal preferences !

So I should gowith the settings on my screenshot or you would recommend me to go “as measured” to stick with my monitors capacities ?
    And last question : should i stick with the default black point correction (as on the picture) and leave the black point compensation box unticked ?

These settigns remain obscure to me !

Thanks again for you patience and have a nice day 🙂 !

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Unless there is a user made CCSS in community I’ll take the common WLED from Xrite. Gamma 2.2/2.4
    It looks that there is at least one: IDNK if it is good or bad. Plotting Sepctral power distribution gives you a hint.

I would not set luminance target, just set it by yourself while fixing RGB balance.
    I mean for calibration tab, all defaults, then choose your target white pont, your target gamma, cutomize speed depending on how bad is your grey… and that’s all.

Amon
    Participant

Okay, i used to try with the matrix you highlighted here, switched back to the default “Wled correction” as I said, but i will give a chance to the spectral one (the 5th one in the list) and tell you whats going on.

And sorry, but i will ask again : should i stick with the default black point correction (as on the picture) and leave the black point compensation box unticked ?

Thanks for evrything

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Amon.

Vincent
    Participant

All defaults. Choose desired white & gamma. Lower speed if uncalibrated grey is very bad.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Amon
    Participant

Okay thanks for evertyhing Vincent, i appreciate a lot your patience !
    It seems that I had better results with the spectral correction you talked about, hI join the results.

One last thing, should I go with a relative custom gamma (i.e 2.4) or an absolute one ?

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS