wrong white point ?

Home Forums Help and Support wrong white point ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jovartia SourceForge

I created display profile using dispcalGUI 3.0.4.3 and argyll 1.8.2. I set the white point at 6500K. But under Linux color system settings when I look at the profile it says white point is 6400K. Also I saw some banding in color gradients after profiliing. Is that normal ? I have EIZO foris FS2333 display and I am on linux mint 17.2 64 bit.

-Jouni

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I created display profile using dispcalGUI 3.0.4.3 and argyll 1.8.2. I set the white point at 6500K. But under Linux color system settings when I look at the profile it says white point is 6400K

It’s not an issue though. A whitepoint difference of ~100K is only a delta E 2000 of around <s>0.18</s> 0.54, which is well below the perceptability limit of 1 dE. The difference can simply come from not being able to hit the whitepoint more accurately due to display limitations (e.g. 8-bit quantization etc).

Also I saw some banding in color gradients after profiliing. Is that normal ?

Banding can have multiple causes. Usually it’s caused by limited bit depth processing. If your graphics application supports it, working in 16-bit can already help if the application uses dithering, even if the display bit depth is still only 8-bit.

EIZO foris FS2333

This display has a HDMI input. If it’s HDMI 1.3 compatible (or newer), you may also be able to make use of higher bit depth videoLUT (depending on your graphics card) by using the HDMI connection instead of DVI, for example.

• This reply was modified on 2015-11-25 12:56:09 by fhoech.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS