Windows 10 keeps resetting calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Windows 10 keeps resetting calibration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

tony359 SourceForge

Hi all,
    Probably it’s a Windows 10/Video Drivers fault but I thought I should share my experience here.
    Since I updated to Windows 10 my dual monitor setup keeps resetting the colour profile fairly easily. When simply moving the player (MPC-HC) between screens, the calibration resets. Opening and playing a file cause the calibration to reset. Opening Teamviewer – with which I control my playback remotely – also seems to cause the calibration to reset sometimes. I always have to re-load the calibration once the playback has started.

Windows 7 wasn’t so bad, at least I never noticed.

Anybody with the same issues? I have an old nVidia card (GTX460).
    Thx
    Tony

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Which video renderer do you use in MPC-HC?

tony359 SourceForge

MadVR.

It’s not up to date, I’ll update and report back.

• This reply was modified on 2015-10-18 17:01:00 by tony359.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Note that it can take 1-2 seconds until calibration is restored after closing the video player. On occasion, I’ve also observed calibration not being restored at all, but it’s hard to reproduce because it only happened very sporadically.

tony359 SourceForge

What I see is that every time I turn on the projector my secondary monitor turns off (which I expect as the video card only supports one monitor) and I have to reload the calibration. Same when I turn the projector off.

However I notice that if I play and stop several different clips, I then usually re-load the calibration when I’m watching the ‘final one’ and I clearly see the colours changing on screen.

With Windows 7 I was definitely reloading the calibration when the projector was started, but then I didn’t need to do that anymore.

tony359 SourceForge

Wait, I’ve just realised that MPC-HC (MadVR in fact) is in fact disabling the calibration every time I press Play and when I close (or move it to the other monitor) the player it will reset it to what it was.
    Is this happening because I have “disable GPU gamma ramps”? It still happens if I have that unchecked.
    I didn’t realise that madVR was doing that, I thought that what was happening was only happening inside the playback window.
    Maybe I should consider re-calibrating/profiling the projector then, I may have messed up during calibration.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Wait, I’ve just realised that MPC-HC (MadVR in fact) is in fact disabling the calibration every time I press Play and when I close (or move it to the other monitor) the player it will reset it to what it was.

If you’re using a 3D LUT, then that’s intended, otherwise the calibration would be applied twice (it’s part of the 3D LUT).

tony359 SourceForge

I see, thanks.

However I believe my 3DLUT does not include calibration, I believe I did it on purpose so I could keep the windows calibration running.

I wrongly assumed that if the 3DLUT was including calibration, then you had to disable Windows calibration or it would be applied twice. Did not realise that MadVR was able to enable/disable Windows calibration automatically.

Thanks!!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However I believe my 3DLUT does not include calibration, I believe I did it on purpose so I could keep the windows calibration running.

Did you disable “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab?

tony359 SourceForge

Yes. In my mind that was intentional. As I said I thought that to disable the calibration one had to disable Windows calibration, I did not realise MadVR was doing it by itself!

I checked and even my black/white levels are wrong! I’ll do that again.

So what’s the purpose of “disable GPU gamma ramps” if the calibration is disabled anyway? I tried with and without that checked and the calibration gets disabled anyway.

That said, I noticed that the windows calibration is reset when I play content but it does not get restored when I close the player. Probably not relevant, as long as it gets disabled when I press play.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS