Whitepoint of 16610K!! Help

Home Forums Help and Support Whitepoint of 16610K!! Help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jake Ealy
    Participant

I am using a Spyder 4 to profile Dell 2412M. Have done this before, not my first time. My other monitor calibrates fine.  But am getting real screwy results with the Dell. Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong. It would be greatly appreciated!

The calibration looks normal, nothing too weird. But the numbers are crazy! I am using LED White mode but get similar high values for LCD Generic.

Setting the color temperature to 6500K on my monitor and doing a report on uncalibrated monitor returns

White Correlated Color Temperature = 8164K, DE 2K to locus = 12.5
    13:30:11,894 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 8195K, DE 2K to locus = 14.9
    13:30:11,894 White Visual Color Temperature = 10094K, DE 2K to locus = 11.6
    13:30:11,895 White Visual Daylight Temperature = 10888K, DE 2K to locus = 13.9

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The calibration looks normal, nothing too weird. But the numbers are crazy! I am using LED White mode but get similar high values for LCD Generic.

The Spyder4 isn’t particularly accurate, so it could be that the display whitepoint is actually closer to 6500K despite what the Spyder reports. Technically, this is not a big problem as long as the white hue seems neutral to your eye.

If you had access to a spectrometer, you could create a colorimeter correction which would increase the accuracy of your Spyder4 on your particular display. You could also try one of the user-contributed corrections from the online database (click the “globe” icon next to “Correction” in DisplayCAL).

Jake Ealy
    Participant

Thanks for your help, Florian. Thats good to know.

I wonder if it isnt a driver/configurational issue because it reports reasonable values that track with settings on another computer with another monitor. I guess, I could switch monitors and calibrate to see if that is the case.

I’m not sure I understand why you state having an inaccurate whitepoint is not a big problem. I do photography and video editing and should I try and get it close to 6500.

Thanks again for your time.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I wonder if it isnt a driver/configurational issue

No. The accuracy of any tristimulus colorimeter depends on how close its sensor+filter combination model the CIE 1931 standard observer. An instrument which has good characteristics will measure more accurately across a range of display technologies.

I’m not sure I understand why you state having an inaccurate whitepoint is not a big problem.

Because the human visual system adapts to any whitepoint unless it’s far from the daylight locus. The absolute accuracy of the whitepoint is less important.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS