White point and RGB gain/bias

Home Forums Help and Support White point and RGB gain/bias

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

NeoGena
    Participant

Hello. I use Displaycal and Interactive display adjustment to achieve 6500k. On my monitor, I can change the settings for RGB gain and bias. But in the tutorials and documentation it is written only about the gain, there is nothing about bias. But if I adjust bias, then I can more accurately approach 6500k. Therefore, I want to ask: is there anything wrong with adjusting bias, or is it better not to touch it and only adjust the gain settings?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by NeoGena.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What type of monitor is this? LCD monitors (and derivatives like OLED) “fake” gain and bias controls by internal LUTs. Gain is straightforward, because it adjusts the white point. Bias (or offset) should only affect the black point, and as such increasing it from default will raise the black level, thus reducing contrast.

NeoGena
    Participant

White LED.  A slight decrease of bias settings brings me closer to 6500k

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by NeoGena.

Alex Sikorsky
    Participant

What type of monitor is this? LCD monitors (and derivatives like OLED) “fake” gain and bias controls by internal LUTs. Gain is straightforward, because it adjusts the white point. Bias (or offset) should only affect the black point, and as such increasing it from default will raise the black level, thus reducing contrast.

Florian, The term “Offset” carries some confusion. Will the black point offset (with increasing parameter value) make the black point darker or lighter?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Will the black point offset (with increasing parameter value) make the black point darker or lighter?

I’m assuming you are talking about the display’s OSD “offset” or “bias” controls. Naturally, increasing these can only make the black point lighter, because you can only add, not subtract from the native black level of the display (all of this under the reasonable assumption that the default state of the OSD controls, or “zeroed” position, will not already unnecessarily lighten the black level).

In case you are talking about the “black output offset” setting of DisplayCAL, it’ll do neither – it influences how the “ideal” tone curve is adjusted to account for the actual display black level (if you search the forum a bit, you can find a graphic I posted some time ago which illustrates the effect of different black output offset settings).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS