White level different reuslt with dipcal and spyder

Home Forums Help and Support White level different reuslt with dipcal and spyder

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

racerhh SourceForge

Hi All,

I am moving from windows to linux with my RAW workflow. One important topic is to calibrate my displays.
    So I started with my notebook internal display. Everthing looks fine. Pictures look fine – same as on windows.
    The white level measured with my spyder 3 elite device at Ubunutu 15.10 and Dispcal is really close.

Min. displ. brigthness – measured in windows with spyder software: 17,7 cd/m²
    Min. displ. brigthness – measured in linux with dipcal & argyll: 17.1 cd/m²

Max. displ. brigthness – measured in windows with spyder software: 168 cd/m²
    Max. displ. brigthness – measured in linux with dipcal & argyll: 172 cd/m²

If I do the same test with my external ASUS VX279H LED-Monitor display connected via HDMI then the results are not as accurate.
    Display settings are manuially set to the level I prefer – setting on the display are not changed from windows to linux.

White level measured in windows with spyder software: 89 cd/m²
    White level measured in linux with dipcal & argyll: 118 cd/m²

I don’t know why. I verified with my camera at ISO 4000 the brigthness of the display – and I have measured the same white level. The mode option in Dispcal I have set to LCD(generic) because I have only two options (one for LCD and one for CRT).

I installed the latest releases of dispcalgui and argyllcms and I have used the one provided by the ubuntu 15.10 repository – same results.

I hope you can help me.

Thx
    racer

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

White level measured in windows with spyder software: 89 cd/m²
    White level measured in linux with dipcal & argyll: 118 cd/m²

I have a hunch that this is a display connected over HDMI driven with ‘video’ levels (16..235) under Windows, and ‘PC’ levels (0..255) under Linux. The latter would be a misconfiguration in Linux, likely the graphics driver.

racerhh SourceForge

Hi Florian,

you are absolutely right. The Nvidia driver in Linux names this setting different as the Windows driver.
    If I set it in linux to limted measures 94 cd/m² which is really close.
    Thx a billion 🙂

But what is the better mode for a PC-Monitor and photo workflow? You are right the Monitor is connected via HDMI. Would you recommend to set both to 0…255 or 16..235?

Thx in advance
    racer

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But what is the better mode for a PC-Monitor and photo workflow?

It’s not so much a question of better, instead which is the the correct setting. Over HDMI, limited (16..235) is usually correct, otherwise you’ll clip near-black values and possibly introduce color casts and other nasty side-effects.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS