What Color Space to choose?

Home Forums Help and Support What Color Space to choose?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

b0mb SourceForge

Hi!

I´ve did some basic calibration using my EODIS3 and HCFR.

Now i would like to build an icc profil using dispcalgui and import this into openelec (i´ve allready found a guide how to do that).

I want to do this using manjaro linux distro running on my htpc.

Since my openelec is running Rec. 709 and manjaro shoud run in sRGB mode i think…. what settings to for gamut do i have to do in dispcalgui to prevent a possibe color space problem?

Thx!

b0mb

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

what settings to for gamut do i have to do in dispcalgui to prevent a possibe color space problem?

It’s important to note that in regards to (display) ICC profiles, there’s no color space choice – the profile always maps from (measured) tristimulus values e.g. CIE XYZ – which define the display colorspace – to display RGB and vice versa.

In case you were talking about creating a 3D LUT, the source color space for video should be Rec. 709 (sRGB has the same primaries, but a different tone response curve).

manjaro shoud run in sRGB mode

Note that most operating systems (except Mac OS X) don’t “run” in any color space, because the desktop has no notion of it and is not color managed. Color management on those systems is “opt in”, i.e. support has to be explicitly built into applications that want to support it (which is usually limited to some graphics applications like Gimp, and a few video players).

b0mb SourceForge

I just want to test with an ICC profile.

So if i let all settings likethey are and choose REC. 709 in Dispcalgui everything should be fine?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You’ll likely want to use the “Video (D65, Rec. 1886)” preset.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS