What are the CRT settings

Home Forums Help and Support What are the CRT settings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Hi Florian:

What are the  settings to calibrate an old school CRT monitor ?

Specifically,

Black output Offset

and

Blackpoint Correction

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Also, I noticed that if I measure in the smaller patch in the middle of screen mode, the brightness reading is Higher than if I had it do full screen.

109cd with the box in the middle of the screen, vs 80cd  in the full screen patch..

What size should I set it to ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What are the settings to calibrate an old school CRT monitor ?

You can just use the defaults.

Also, I noticed that if I measure in the smaller patch in the middle of screen mode, the brightness reading is Higher than if I had it do full screen.

Back in the day, many (especially cheaper) CRTs had power supplies and electronics that could not sustain high enough voltage, leading to “brightness pumping” and other effects, including the one you’re experiencing. Use a small patch size.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

What are the settings to calibrate an old school CRT monitor ?

You can just use the defaults.

Back in the day, many (especially cheaper) CRTs had power supplies and electronics that could not sustain high enough voltage, leading to “brightness pumping” and other effects, including the one you’re experiencing. Use a small patch size.

The Blackpoint correction defaults to 0%.  But in the documentation it says 100% is good for refresh type displays crt/plasma..

Should 0% be used for CRT ?

And regarding smaller patch size.

Should the patch size be the -largest- patch such that it maintains 109cd white reading. Or should it be sized to read something lower  to account for the lack of power during full screen scanning ?

Also, if I wanted to run the monitor at 9300k ,  and have the rec709 madvr 3dLUT material be moved from 6500k to 9300k ,  which rendering intent does that ?

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

When I set the contrast setting on the crt. I set it to the lowest possible in the middle of the night, where I can’t distinguish the black of the room, vs the lowest lvl on the monitor.

After calibration, under calibration curves, it says 0.0.0 is moved to 11.36, 11.46, 12.91,   does that mean that at that spot of the input signal,  it is the  lowest black point the i1D is capable of measuring ?

As in, the i1D probably can’t see the blackest black, so the offset begins some where (Before/After) what it CAN see ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

After calibration, under calibration curves, it says 0.0.0 is moved to 11.36, 11.46, 12.91

Black point correction increases the black level, because you can only correct black point hue by adding R, G or B.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

After calibration, under calibration curves, it says 0.0.0 is moved to 11.36, 11.46, 12.91

Black point correction increases the black level, because you can only correct black point hue by adding R, G or B.

Ah, right.. that makes perfect sense.. hahaha..

Is there a difference between calibration using tone curve set on absolute gamma vs relative gamma on CRT ?

I noticed that on the calibration page, the the black output offset is there. But on the 3dLut page, black output offset is no longer there after calibration of CRT Is this due to absolute/relative tone curves being the same on CRT ? ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there a difference between calibration using tone curve set on absolute gamma vs relative gamma on CRT ?

Likely only a small difference due to the (usually) high native contrast ratio of CRTs.

I noticed that on the calibration page, the the black output offset is there. But on the 3dLut page, black output offset is no longer there after calibration of CRT Is this due to absolute/relative tone curves being the same on CRT ? ?

Black output offset on the 3D LUT tab will only be shown if the measured black level is above zero.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Since this is four years later after this thread,  does DisplayCal still support CRT display calibration?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS