TN Monitor calibration, gray tint.

Home Forums Help and Support TN Monitor calibration, gray tint.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

NeoGena
    Participant

Hey. I’m new in calibrating. Recently I purchased Spyder 5 Pro to calibrate my monitor. My monitor is XB271HUA, this TN monitor with a bad gamma. DisplayCAL reported that it has a gamma 1.87. Before buying the colorimeter, I used the settings in the NVIDIA control panel to get closer to gamma 2.2 and improve the contrast. And it looked good (no tint in gray)  and worked in games. But I wanted to try it through the colorimeter, and not by eye, and bought the device. My problem is that after 6 attempts of calibration (3 in the datacolor software and 3 in the displaycal) I only got 1 profile with non tint in gray colors in these tests http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php. And this profile was obtained after calibration through the software Datacolor. I read a lot about the fact that DisplayCAL calibrates much better, so I have a twist that I’m doing something wrong. In the calibration settings, I set the Color Temperature to 6500 and Gamma 2.2, also I tried the black point correction. But I still get green and red shades in gray colors.

Thank you in advance and I apologize for the bad English. I tried to find information on my questions, but I did not understand what I need to do. The photo shows what I see after the last attempt at calibration through DisplayCAL. I know that the phone camera and jpg format are very distorting the picture, but the photo shows what I see.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

please read through the FAQ regarding the use of test images.

You can try changing the profile loader quantization bitdepth to 8 bit (from the right-click popup menu).

Stephan
    Participant

Good point, that looks pretty ba(n)d. The gradient probably does not look too purty…

It is generally better to select native (measured) white point (and white luminance) in DisplayCAL and then use the interactive dialog to adjust monitor settings as needed. On TN panels I also try to get away with as little adjustment as possible (only as much as needed to get them onto the daylight color temp curve somewhere, assuming that is not too far out), as they tend to suffer from major dispersion, i.e. angle-dependent white point shift. It can get really distracting if your white is shifting around as you move or the top half of your screen is greenish and the bottom half is magenta – not exactly ideal in a word processor.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Stephan.

NeoGena
    Participant

Hi,

please read through the FAQ regarding the use of test images.

You can try changing the profile loader quantization bitdepth to 8 bit (from the right-click popup menu).

Hi,

Many thanks, it helped, but not much, still there is a green tint. These tints are not only on the lagom test images, but on all pictures with dark gray.

Stephan
    Participant

How much brightness are you losing with calibration, i.e. the display profile being loaded? When combined with the gamma adjustment required, I can see resolution in the dark tones becoming critical.

Maybe attach your ICC profile or at least a screenshot of the calibration curves in profile info. The output RGB range should cover all of 0-255 in all channels if you set white point to measured and use monitor controls to achieve the desired white point with the interactive adjustment dialog.

Attachments:

NeoGena
    Participant

How much brightness are you losing with calibration, i.e. the display profile being loaded? When combined with the gamma adjustment required, I can see resolution in the dark tones becoming critical.

Maybe attach your ICC profile or at least a screenshot of the calibration curves in profile info. The output RGB range should cover all of 0-255 in all channels if you set white point to measured and use monitor controls to achieve the desired white point with the interactive adjustment dialog.

Here is my profile. (Second Attachment – XB271HUA.icm. First wrong, do not know how to remove from the post.)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by NeoGena.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by NeoGena.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The profile is a single curve + matrix profile, so it relies solely on the calibration to correct the black point hue. You can increase black point correction on the calibration tab as well as reduce calibration speed to “medium”, but you’ll lose contrast.

NeoGena
    Participant

I tried a low calibration speed, black point corection (auto, rate 20), LCD (White LED) and black point compensation.

After that I got more black crush and tint in blacks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS