The old "matching monitors" question

Home Forums Help and Support The old "matching monitors" question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Harry Kemp
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I have a question for you: if your FAQ page one of the topics outlines how sometimes after calibrating two or more displays, there can be a visual mismatch between displays. The FAQ page describes the solution for this as simply adjusting the RGB values of one of the screens to visually match the other.

My question is – how do I obtain an “accurate” calibration if I am choosing a screen to base my calibration upon? How do I know which of my displays is the one I should choose to match the others too. I am having this issue at the moment with both my grading suite (Eizo CG247X and LG B6) as well as my office displays (multiple win10 pcs with 2x Dell P2715Q’s each) – after every calibration there is a mismatch between the two displays.

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My question is – how do I obtain an “accurate” calibration if I am choosing a screen to base my calibration upon? How do I know which of my displays is the one I should choose to match the others to

You make a decision based on the data available to you – the crux of the matter is as the screens already match “perfectly” based on tristimulus values, these can not be a basis for any decision you make, so you have to make a pick based on other factors.

I should probably also stress that striving for absolute accuracy is not possible anyway (meaning there are simply many cases where there is no way you can attain a perfect visual match going just by numbers, because you have to take the actual observer – in this case yourself – into account), and the FAQ explains why that is the case, because the underlying model of how light is converted to CIE tristimulus values is (and has to be) an average “best fit” to how human vision works.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS