The (hopefully) definitive guide to calibrating the EIZO CG2420

Home Forums Help and Support The (hopefully) definitive guide to calibrating the EIZO CG2420

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

macleod92
    Participant

Right, so after my pervious message I did some more fiddling around and I think I might have found a solution to the original gray balance problem.

I went back to using ColorNavigator7 and calibrated using the built-in probe (for some reason CN won’t recognize my i1DisplayPro) and the following settings:

– Gamut: Native

– Gamma: 2.2

– Brightness: 100cm/d2

– Priority: Standard (tried Gray Balance but got better results using ‘standard’)

– Black level: Minimum

– White point: 6500K

I then went into DisplayCal and started my normal Resolve calibration setup but when it opened with interactive white point adjustment, rather than just clicking through to profile I opened ColorNavigator again.

In CN7 I clicked on the profile I’d previously created and clicked Manual adjustment.  In this menu I was able to adjust the RGB balance while keeping an eye on the DisplayCal interactive display adjustment window so that I got all the bars to line up.

You then need to save this as a new profile in CN7 and let it do a quick calibration but after that everything should line up with DC’s bars.

I then quit the DisplayCal calibration I had open and started a new one using the settings already discussed above but using ‘As measured’ for all the settings in the calibration tab and relative colorimetric rendering intent in the 3D LUT tab.

I checked that the bars still lined up in the interactive display adjustment menu and then went through to calibration.

With all that followed I get the following measurement report.  While combined RGB gray balance range isn’t perfect (1.1) it’s much better than it was before and this is with a white point reading of 0.26.

The only thing that I want to check is whether or not I have my 3D LUT’s tone curve settings right.

– Custom

– Gamma: 2.2 (absolute)

– Black output offset: 100%

Is there anyone that anyone can see here that looks off or have I finally managed to get a decent calibration?

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by macleod92.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by macleod92.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

macleod92
    Participant

Right, so after my pervious message I did some more fiddling around and I think I might have found a solution to the original gray balance problem.

I went back to using ColorNavigator7 and calibrated using the built-in probe (for some reason CN won’t recognize my i1DisplayPro) and the following settings:

– Gamut: Native

– Gamma: 2.2

– Brightness: 100cm/d2

– Priority: Standard (tried Gray Balance but got better results using ‘standard’)

– Black level: Minimum

– White point: 6500K

I then went into DisplayCal and started my normal Resolve calibration setup but when it opened with interactive white point adjustment, rather than just clicking through to profile I opened ColorNavigator again.

In CN7 I clicked on the profile I’d previously created and clicked Manual adjustment.  In this menu I was able to adjust the RGB balance while keeping an eye on the DisplayCal interactive display adjustment window so that I got all the bars to line up.

You then need to save this as a new profile in CN7 and let it do a quick calibration but after that everything should line up with DC’s bars.

I then quit the DisplayCal calibration I had open and started a new one using the settings already discussed above but using ‘As measured’ for all the settings in the calibration tab and relative colorimetric rendering intent in the 3D LUT tab.

I checked that the bars still lined up in the interactive display adjustment menu and then went through to calibration.

With all that followed I get the following measurement report.  While combined RGB gray balance range isn’t perfect (1.1) it’s much better than it was before and this is with a white point reading of 0.26.

The only thing that I want to check is whether or not I have my 3D LUT’s tone curve settings right.

– Custom

– Gamma: 2.2 (absolute)

– Black output offset: 100%

Is there anyone that anyone can see here that looks off or have I finally managed to get a decent calibration?

Thanks!

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

In CN7 I clicked on the profile I’d previously created and clicked Manual adjustment. In this menu I was able to adjust the RGB balance while keeping an eye on the DisplayCal interactive display adjustment window so that I got all the bars to line up.

Better approach than mine for making CN apply the same white. All but grey 26 seems on spot. IDNK its cause, check if it exists without Resolve LU3TD

macleod92
    Participant

So is it safe to say this is a pretty good calibration then?

What I’ve ended up with is an even worse profile than before which doesn’t make sense to me.  The RGB gray balance combined range is 2.67 which is obviously not great.

I assumed that doing everything through DisplayCal would take a lot of the complication out of things.  I’ve attached the measurement report.  If anyone has any insight as to why my RGB gray balance is so bad that would be amazing.

Also out of interest can you think of any reason why when I bypassed CN before and just did everything in DisplayCAL I got a bad result?
    Just so I know for calibrating other monitors which don’t have the option of CN7.

Vincent
    Participant

Better approach than mine for making CN apply the same white. All but grey 26 seems on spot. IDNK its cause, check if it exists without Resolve LU3TD

Malcolm Biles
    Participant

Hello Macleod!

Thanks for this as I am looking to get the CG2420 and am a bit confused (of course). I decided to move from Premiere to Resolve after taking a color grading course online. What I didn’t realize was that I needed more hardware to make it work properly !

Since I have already paid $300 for the Studio version of Resolve, I guess I have to go with it.

I’m on Windows 10 and deliver at 1080p. I’m planning to purchase: Eizo CG2420, Blackmagic Mini Monitor, and the Xrite i1 Display Pro.

A few questions about that:

1) After using the CG2420 for awhile do you still recommend it?

2) Sincw the CG2420 is not a 4K monitor, why would someone get the Mini Monitor 4K?

3) Xrite also makes a “pro plus” model. Do I need that for the CG2420?

4) Is there anything else I need to buy or you suggest buying?

Additionally, I’m assuming I can refer to your original post and figure out how to calibrate the monitor for Resolve. Although, it appears that some of your updated posts suggest you discovered some alterations to your original instructions.

Can you possibly repost your original instructions with the updated discoveries included?

Also, as someone who has never done this level of calibration (I have only done icc profile calibrations on an older Dell U2410), will I be able to refer to your “definitive guide” instructions and figure this out? If not, can you point me towards any other required reading.

Sorry to ask so much and I greatly appreciate any help!

macleod92
    Participant

Hi Malcolm – sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I hope I can still be useful.

1) After using the CG2420 for awhile do you still recommend it?

I definitely do think it’s a good monitor.   Honestly my headache is still calibrating and being confident in the results but so many other people also like the monitor so I’d have to side with them

2) Sincw the CG2420 is not a 4K monitor, why would someone get the Mini Monitor 4K?

This was purely for future proofing, no other reason.

3) Xrite also makes a “pro plus” model. Do I need that for the CG2420?

My understanding when I looked into it was that the pro plus was only really useful if you were calibrating an HDR monitor which the CG2420 isn’t.

4) Is there anything else I need to buy or you suggest buying?

If you’ve got a calibration probe and something like a Decklink so you can bypass the GPU then I can’t see what else you’d need to buy.

I would like to make it very clear that I’m by no means an expert on this topic so please do let others guide you!

macleod92
    Participant

Also – I’ve put together the step by step guide based on this thread to make it easier to follow and update in the future.  As I said above, I’m not an expert and really have been guided by the advice from people like Vincent.

As you’ll be able to see from the results that I’ve included in the guide my calibration looks fairly decent, with the exception of the dark end of the spectrum which does seem to drift a bit.  I’ve also done a profile using LightSpace CMS just to get another verification of the results.

If anyone can think of any way to improve the grays of this calibration or has any suggestions in general then I’d love to hear them (I’ll do my best to keep the doc updated in the future so it’s easier for others).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eNnELU7FqR6CN0PAtfOlWSl1MTIp_t3VZsrM4vgU6xw/edit

Attachments:

Malcolm Biles
    Participant

Wow Macleod, thanks so much for these thorough and thought out responses. I wish you and yours the best in these times.

Stay creative !
    Peace

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Hi Macleod,

Thanks for all your work in making this calibration work. Is the guide still up to date?

I’m trying to calibrate my cg2420 and it is giving me a headache just like yourself! I was wondering why you choose ‘Black output offset: 100%’ and ‘Rendering intent: Relative colorimetric’. I have tried with and without and the change is pretty big!

Thanks again,

Roman

Vincent
    Participant

As a simplified summary: black is about if LUT3D should trust black as true black or not, relative WP means do not modify current display white with LUT3D.

If you run a Measurement report with DisplayCAL on your CN7 HW calibration and resulting profile (no simulation profiles, just verify CN7 profile) you should be able to inspect back and near black actual output and also your display whitepoint and color distance to “true whites” (no pink, no green) and correlated color temp.

Since Eizo and NEC HW cal vendor solutions have a visual whitepoint editor, you should be able to change last one inside monitor if you wish to.

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your response!

I ran another calibration this time with the black output offset set to 100% and the rendering intent set to ‘relative colorimetric’. The results are better but the grey values are still off.

I will attach the verification report and the report of just a verification with the CN calibration without any LUT3D.

Attachments:

macleod92
    Participant

Glad to see this post is helping people out.  I have a quick update from my end which I thought I would share.

I ran into some issues with grayscale banding having used the methods detailed so far.  I initially thought this was a Resolve issues but having posted on Lift Gamma Gain, someone told me about the ‘Administrator’ menu on the Eizo monitors.  It’s a hidden menu which lets you change specific inputs signal to either be ‘PC’ or ‘Video’.

Changing my HDMI input to be a video input from PC sorted the banding issues that I was having.  It’s worth noting that once you’ve done this you’ll need to change the ‘Input Color Format’ on the monitor from RGB to YUV 4:2:2 otherwise you’ll get some very strange results.

I’ve updated the manual to include this step – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eNnELU7FqR6CN0PAtfOlWSl1MTIp_t3VZsrM4vgU6xw/edit

I will say that my results in Resolve with the calibration LUT do seem pretty different now from before.  Before when I went from nothing to applying the LUT I would see a visible shift in the image. Now I don’t really think I can see any change at all, although it does look a lot closer to how it did when I shot it.  I don’t know if this is because it doesn’t need to change after the ColourNavigator white point has been set, or if there is something else going wrong.

Without someone being able to tell me what looks right or wrong it’s hard to know if this is the next ‘correct’ answer as I thought we had this figured out back in June

My measurement report (attached) seems to be pretty much identical to how it was before so I presume this is still a good result.

Attachments:

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Hey man,

Thanks for your reply! I also found that topic on the LGG forum and changed that setting in the administrator menu. Still having a hard time calibrating my CG2420 even though I follow your guide. The crazy thing is: when I calibrate with a lot of patches glitches seem to generate in the 3DLUT. With just 175 patches the calibration results get better. Still not good enough for me though.. Weird right? Just visible colored bands in the greys..

BB2020
    Participant

Hey Macleod, thanks for sharing your workflow. Good to see you’re getting pretty accurate results on your Eizo with the combination of CN and DC. Also the workaround for the off-balance whitepoint is interesting, which I also gonna apply for my next calibration.

I think your workflow is even legit for all the CG series. I already have owned three Eizo’s and currently using the CG279X as reference monitor whereas the only difference is that I’m actually loading the LUT  as a 3dl file into the monitor. I’m about to buy a second one as a client monitor, cause this workflow gives the confidence to calibrate them close enough to eachother and not having to pay double the price for a smaller Flanders.

Just a quick question, do you usually profile to auto optimized (1553 patches)? Have you tried larger testcharts?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by BB2020.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS