System-wide vs per application profile

Home Forums Help and Support System-wide vs per application profile

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alan Jones
    Participant

Hi all,

So I’m currently trying to nail down system wide profiles, their interaction with DisplayCal, and per application profiles.

My starting point has been Resolve. As I change the system wide profile, the colors in Resolve change, so it’s being impacted by DisplayCal’s profile. My  assumption then as validation was that if I used the Resolve LUT workflow from there, I should wind up with a no-op LUT. Strangely though, event the nits measurement at the start differs between using DisplayCal directly and going through the Resolve calibration screen. It’s reduced by about 20%.

Any ideas what is happening here? What is happening with the colors coming from applications, especially in the case of their windows overlapping multiple monitors with different profiles?

Cheers,

Alan.

Alan Jones
    Participant

Okay – so I have part of this. The calibration itself knocked off all the extra nits, which the uncalibrated vs calibrated tool showed (as did the summary at the end of calibration or calibration testing, if I’d paid better attention.

Still working on figuring out what happens across multiple monitors and how to validate this. Is there just a straight color measurement tool within DisplayCal? I haven’t found anything that seems to be that, but may have missed it.

Cheers,

Alan

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My starting point has been Resolve. As I change the system wide profile, the colors in Resolve change, so it’s being impacted by DisplayCal’s profile.

Yes, although the ICC profile support in Resolve is very limited from what I’ve seen (e.g. no support for LUT profiles). The best way to get color managed output from Resolve is thus still to use 3D LUTs.

Still working on figuring out what happens across multiple monitors and how to validate this.

You can run profile (and 3D LUT) verifications on the “Verification” tab.

Alan Jones
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the details. I’m not sure I was clear about what I’m trying to figure out with multiple monitors. In this case, I’m imagining I have a profile for each one of them (with the same target). Then, I have an application which overlaps across multiple monitors. Does the display system ensure that each portion of the window is adjusted to its the monitor it is displaying on, does it pick the monitor it’s mostly on, the monitor a particular point in the window is on, the one it launched in, or something else entirely for which profile to apply when displaying.

Also, to figure out how various pieces of software are behaving, I’d love to be able to put an object of a set color up on them, then put my spectrometer over it and ask DisplayCal to read that color. This way I could figure out whether the application is behaving as expected and start to verify workflows for ensuring a color correct pipeline. Is there an option to just grab a single reading in DisplayCal?

Cheers,

Alan

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does the display system ensure that each portion of the window is adjusted to its the monitor it is displaying on

Only if the application is designed that way (e.g. Photoshop would be an example).

Is there an option to just grab a single reading in DisplayCal?

Not directly, but you could use the “Untethered” display to take free measures.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS