Suggest a brighness level for me

Home Forums General Discussion Suggest a brighness level for me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

roadtonever SourceForge

My comupter room is in the northern hemisphere, has large windows but blinds permanently drawn.
    Usage:
    Photo editing for internet distribution using D65 + sRGB tone curve(straight 2.2 look black-crushed/contrasty)
    Video restoration using MadVR with 3DLUT for reviewing my work.
    * General browsing

• This topic was modified on 2015-11-20 17:05:46 by roadtonever.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For a dim environment, try around 80 cd/m2.

roadtonever SourceForge

There’s usually indor lightning on unless I’m watching a movie. I’ll try 100 cd/m2.

roadtonever SourceForge

You were right, 80 cd/m2 is the way to go!

roadtonever SourceForge

It’s mid-day overcast and I’m finding I’m prefering 100 cd/m2. It feels like I’m going toward setting 90 cd/m2. I assume this is not the correct theoretical mid-way point of 80 and 100 but close enough maybe?

• This reply was modified on 2015-11-24 22:10:55 by roadtonever.

harryytm SourceForge

Keep in mind that some LED backlit monitor uses PWM method to dim the blacklight and do have high frequency flickering when the brightness not set to 100% , whch may cause flicker illness such as headache on some people.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-14 22:44:22 by harryytm.

roadtonever SourceForge

I realized 100 cd/m2 is around the middle of all display standards(from DCI-P3 to AdobeRGB) so I tried sticking to it and ended up I prefer it for viewing photos and movies. But When I try to edit I find the results are too dark when I go back and compare with other media on my display. I’m now considering:
    1. Swithing between 90 cd/m2 for editing and 100 cd/m2 for viewing
    2. Setting 90 cd/m2.
    3. Setting 100 cd/m2 and trying to improve my editing skills
    What do you think?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s always good if you can control the lighting.

roadtonever SourceForge

I have to work with what I have fow now. Do you suggest I set the brightness according to ambient lightning? If so, what does the formula look like? How do you deal with varying ambient brightness?

p.dada
    Participant

You could try installing a bias light behind the monitor in an otherwise dark room. It greatly improves the contrast of IPS displays and gives you a reference tone of gray to help with your editing. Its brightness should be no more than 10%  the peak white of the display (eg. less than 12 cd/m² for a display with white at 120 cd/m²). For a usual 2.2 gamma you could set up a 35% gray field on screen and use that as your maximum reference ambient light. Then the absolute brightness of the display won’t matter as much as the eye adapts.

Bias Light

Personally, I have installed an RGB LED strip on all four edges at the backside of the monitor so I could have complete control over the brightness and white point of the light. The bundled controller can even store 6 presets of colour/brightness for varying calibration presets. It’s absolutely necessary to have a gray or light colored wall for this to work. Yellow paints can be fixed more easily. But overly saturated paints won’t work unless you cover the wall with a neutral curtain/wallpaper/etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS