Standalone software HDR TPG

Home Forums General Discussion Standalone software HDR TPG

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

dogelition
    Participant

I made a simple HDR TPG for Windows that can be used with DisplayCAL for HDR profiling. It uses the same protocol as Resolve and renders patterns via D3D11, without relying on any proprietary APIs like NVAPI, so everything just works. The only external dependency is the Visual C++ Redistributable package; apart from that it’s a tiny self-contained executable.

Binaries and source code are available here: https://github.com/ledoge/dogegen
    The README covers all the implemented functionality and is hopefully clear enough on how exactly to use it with DisplayCAL.

Old Man
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks for this!

Old Man
    Participant

Works great so far! Could we get an option to change the default background color? I’d like to be able to have it display full screen neutral grey when it isn’t displaying a patch so I can do a quick reading of a white 10% window and then return to grey to minimize drift

dogelition
    Participant

There isn’t really a “default” background color, except for the initial black screen before any patches are displayed. Every message sent from DisplayCAL to the Resolve TPG consists of a background color, patch color and patch coordinates. So I don’t think there’s a reasonable way to distinguish between DisplayCAL sending black due to wanting to measure a black patch, or sending black because it’s not displaying a patch at the moment. Does the “Full field pattern insertion” setting in DisplayCAL not work for your use case?

Old Man
    Participant

Thanks for the response. Huge fan

I’m referring to the initial black screen before any patches are displayed and the black screen after all patches are displayed. So I’m not asking for you to interfere with patch requests. Full-field pattern insertion does not work for this

I’m using HCFR and I need my display showing a 100% 512 512 512 window whenever it’s not measuring to keep it at a relatively known temp. If I put up the current black screen, the temp drops rapidly and invalidates my measurements. Likewise, if I leave a 1024 1024 1024 patch up for any longer than it takes to read, the display heats up rapidly, causing the same problem. So I need it to rest at 512. For adjusting white balance, I do a single measure and I need it to immediately return to 512. I’m able to accomplish this with madTPG and irfanview. I set madTPG to not stay on top and I set irfanview to stay on top with a 512 picture displayed full screen. When HCFR sends a patch, madTPG displays the patch and immediately returns to the background, leaving irfanview to display 512. So this works, but I’d like to transition to your software and leave mad behind

On another note, I think what you’re doing for this community is awesome and I consider your work to be the most-disruptive (in a good way) work in this space right now. I’d like to offer any help you might need (other than financially – I have no income), whether that be helping you test or even helping you develop new tools, or anything else to help. Let me know

dogelition
    Participant

Got it – since HCFR does clearly distinguish between sending a black pattern and sending nothing, I think I was able to implement exactly what you’re asking for. Please try the new release and tell me if it works as expected.

And thank you for the kind words 🙂

Old Man
    Participant

Exactly what I asked for and post haste! Works great so far! Thanks!

I like to give credit where credit’s due, and you deserve it

nelldrip
    Participant

Amazing! thanks for your great job!
    Previously, it was necessary to overwrite madTPG or HDMI metadata, but both were difficult to configure and a little difficult to use.
    You had successfully solved these problems.

I will make a tutorial to calibrate HDR mode using this TPG.

Old Man
    Participant

Looking forward to your tutorial

nelldrip
    Participant

I would appreciate it if you could support  DaVinci Resolve TPG (8bit) for colourspace users.
    https://www.lightillusion.com/resolve_manual.html

Old Man
    Participant

Make colorspace pay. The feature I requested for HCFR – could you implement it for displaycal too?

dogelition
    Participant

Make colorspace pay. The feature I requested for HCFR – could you implement it for displaycal too?

As I said before, I don’t think it’s possible to implement something like that for DisplayCAL, because unlike HCFR it never actually sends “nothing”.

I would appreciate it if you could support  DaVinci Resolve TPG (8bit) for colourspace users.
    https://www.lightillusion.com/resolve_manual.html

I don’t have access to any version of ColourSpace, so I cannot test it, but I tried to implement full support for 8 and 10 bit patterns based on DisplayCAL and PGenerator code. The release is here: https://github.com/ledoge/dogegen/releases/tag/v1.1-beta, and the connection should work the same as with DisplayCAL. Please test it with 8 bit and 10 bit patterns, with and without a background colour, and let me know if anything is broken. I added a new command for logging the received messages, debug 1, so please run it with that and post the XML if any patterns aren’t displayed properly. Also: Please check if 10 bit patterns are recognized properly, meaning that “Switching to 10 bit HDR output” should appear in the console.

Old Man
    Participant

What about before and after a run when the dogetpg window is black?

nelldrip
    Participant

Thank you for implementing.
    I have confirmed that both work, Lightspace HTP (open license) and Colourspace ZRO.
    Thank you for the great update.

Old Man
    Participant

Not to hijack the thread, but does Lightspace HTP do anything DisplayCAL and HCFR don’t?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS