Sony x900e – bad grey balance

Home Forums Help and Support Sony x900e – bad grey balance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

KosmatyZubr
    Participant

After calibrating my tv using Spyder 5  and using many different settings (single curve, xyz lut, black compensation on/off, drift compensation on/off, many different modes such as white led etc), I noticed in tests such as AVS HD 709 (white/black/apl clipping), that pure black and pure whites look fine, but some of the flashing bars are tinted blue or red.

I don’t think the problem is related to tv itself, because when I turn off the icc profile, then flashing bars look grey, as they should (but at the same time, gamma is all wrong and overall color temperature seems way to cold).

I wonder if it’s somehow linked to local dimming – I left it at “medium” during the calibration since I use this value during normal viewing and color characteristics seem to differ with local dimming off, so I doubt that calibration made with local dimming off would be fine for usage with local dimming turned on.

I am honestly at loss here and would really appreciate some help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

KosmatyZubr
    Participant

I don’t seem to be able to edit my posts, so here is the grey balance chart from report:

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Try it: Disable dimming, calibrate & profile, do not use it at all.

If color tint in grey colors are still present after calibration, there are several causes of this problem, a short list:

-Use slow calibration speed in DisplayCAL

-Spyders are not accurate… so their readings are not trustrable… so calibration computed on those readings may not be good. Buy and i1d3 from Xrite

-Calibration induced banding. Some graphics cards or LUT loader application cause it. AMDs work fine on every output (because of dithering), nvidia “maybe” won’t do this job as good as AMD (make sure your TV supports 10bit in, use HDMI, configure 10bpc or more in nvidia control panel, try to use RGB signal 4:4:4), intel iGPU AFAIK will cause this no matter what you do.
    Also do not use Windows/Basiccolor/i1Profiler LUT loader, for Windows use DisplayCAL loader. Do not enable “night mode” if you have Windows 10, if you enabkle it by mistake, disable it & reboot.
    So if it is caused by your GPU and changing things in control panel does not solve it (nvidia)… you may need a GPU that does not caused this kind of trouble… or a higher end TV with HW calibration support.

-Color management induced banding. It is caused by low precision color transformations (done it 8bit) or truncation errors (color management without some kind of temporal dithering). Since you tried “singgle curve” profile, this is not your situation.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

KosmatyZubr
    Participant

First off: thank you for your support and time.

I did couple more tests:

• I turned off local dimming during calibration and left it turned off afterwards. The results were a bit better, but greys were still tinted, which was visible even with naked eye. I am enclosing chart from calibration evaluation report for comparison.
    • I do indeed have nvidia GPU (GTX 1070). So I tried to calibrate with 12bpc turned on. No change.

I always use DisplayCAL profile loader and have night mode turned off at all times.

I guess it may be true that it’s just a case of Spyder not being good enough colorimeter.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

First off: thank you for your support and time.

I did couple more tests:

• I turned off local dimming during calibration and left it turned off afterwards. The results were a bit better, but greys were still tinted, which was visible even with naked eye. I am enclosing chart from calibration evaluation report for comparison.
    • I do indeed have nvidia GPU (GTX 1070). So I tried to calibrate with 12bpc turned on. No change.

I always use DisplayCAL profile loader and have night mode turned off at all times.

I guess it may be true that it’s just a case of Spyder not being good enough colorimeter.

Don’t bother about RGB gray balance % in your attachment, I would just check delta a* and delta b* axes from “0,0” in report (should be low, <1) and of course a visual check of a SMOOTH gray gradient in a non color managed enviroment. If it looks neutral… then it is good. Several sources for that gradient, like in lagom web, but make sure to save it and test it in a non color managed enviroment like MS paint. It should be non color managed.

If tha gradient looks good in non color managed try a single curve profile for Photoshop and others or you can  even try more complex profiles with 3 trc like curves+marisx or XYZLUT. If banding & coloration appearsin those more complex profiles go back to single curve.

If gradients do not look neutral in non color managed enviroment, then calibration is the culprit, double check everything, including TVs OSD configuration (maybe it is doing some extra processing).
    If all checking is ok, try to plug that TV in and AMD GPU computer with the same prfile and same requirements (no night mode, just DisplayCAL loader… etc) or you can even try a fast USB Linux instalation fro that nvidia with DisplayCAL and dithering enabled (this option is not available in Geforce Windows drivers, non propietary Linux AMD drivers would fail the test too). If Linux trick works, you know who is the culprit (software, drivers), if it does not but AMD GPU computer works as intended, you know what is the problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS