Should I set laptop white point “as measure” or target it D65, I’ve torn.

Home Forums Help and Support Should I set laptop white point “as measure” or target it D65, I’ve torn.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

I use laptop and pc for photo edit. I’ve learn and experience that by set target white point D65 for laptop with no adjust OSD on screen. Screen look strange dull, dim, and some yellow cast. It cause by calibration in GPU I know. If display have osd to adjust r g b then no problem.

Should I set white point to “as measure” then get the white point off? (report also say Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint  quite high >9) , with this screen look not so strange but with price of gray not gray but tint right? How about color? I think color is ok, yes? (Average E, max E is good in report) Anyway I still torn in this. What should people do? Target D65 and live with it, or native display white?

Vincent
    Participant

Explained in other threads… if you lack or a proper correction (CCSS) for that laptop, use visual whitepoint editor since measured coordinates using a wrong CCSS won’t be real. => Visual white point editor or rent/buy/borrow an spectrophotometer and measure that laptop.

Also “dull & dim” are not quantitative values, do a measurement report and see how much contrast you lost. Or aim to closer wp targtelike instructed in other threads.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

An uncalibrated display usually is very bright, with cool (high color temperature)  and oversaturated colors.

In its raw – uncalibrated – state, my 4K, 15,6″ laptop AMOLED display has a luminosity of some 380-420 nits (depending on the white point) and is somewhat reddish.

On the other hand, after a calibration (for print work) it has a luminosity of 80 nits, a color temperure/white point of 6500K and a gamma value of 2.2. In other words, it’s warmer and much darker.

I calibrate my display using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus and Calibrite CC Profiler (formerly X-Rite  i1 Profiler),

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

I was wrong.

The reddish tint was caused by Windows falling back to an old DisplayCAL color profile.

After getting rid of, the raw screen is actually more yellowish (warmer) than when calibrated.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Explained in other threads… if you lack or a proper correction (CCSS) for that laptop, use visual whitepoint editor since measured coordinates using a wrong CCSS won’t be real. => Visual white point editor or rent/buy/borrow an spectrophotometer and measure that laptop.

Yes I lack of those CCSS, since I not own spectrometer anytime soon, I just have colorimeter – i1display pro plus, for spectrometer maybe someday. So I can only rely on spectral correction then I guess. Question is : how to know or judge or hint that the choose of spectral correction is right or wrong? – Aside from CCSS by spectrometer, aside from try to check panel technology, which some display I’m not sure I find and choose the right one that why I ask. Just for a hint maybe.

Report verification will show something strange?

Also can I check by visual whitepoint editor and watch that white in rectangle that okay to my eye? If not proper white then I choose other correction because it maybe wrong then? If that case I have attach pictures taken by phone of visual whitepoint from my laptop Thinkpad X250 IPS display which I choose WLED for correction. (I do couple profiles for testing) Quite strange, 6500K seem to be warm yellow, 8000K cool little green, native seem to be close to white – it actually around 8000K+ according to report from uncalibrated display, the last one try with visual whitepoint editor and measure 1st time result in little yellow.
    Another is from Dell U2417H with WLED for correction the 6500K seem to be good white by visual white point editor. So that ok, at least for reference.

I don’t know I use visual white point correct way or not. 1. choose profile of display in target 2. click visual whitepoint editor 3. windows show the whitepoint and number for that display of that profile
    – I may also continue with – 3. choose profile of display in reference 4. click visualwhite point editor 5. windows show the whitepoint and number for that display of that profile as reference 6. adjust visual whitepoint editor of target until satisfy in with reference and measure then do normal profiling in target display.

Follow is another question, report show in target display : profiling from visual white point create profile with Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE*00  “NOT OK” – meaning white point not ok? Off or something? Or that is normal since I pick whitepoint by myself. Anyway color seem to be ok since average, maximum dE* seem good.

Then for dull display I’ve screen of report uncalibrated, calibrate my laptop show 770:1 >>> 720:1 I think this is why I feel dull then. Another display U2417H I got 900:1 >>> 890:1 which is little, that why I not notice any, I guess.

The reddish tint was caused by Windows falling back to an old DisplayCAL color profile.

After getting rid of, the raw screen is actually more yellowish (warmer) than when calibrated.

I’ve a same colorimeter. It excellent with external displays anyway. For laptop have a little warm yellow cast but the report show quite good color, so I think I can live with it. Only I’ve quite few question above.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Yes I lack of those CCSS, since I not own spectrometer anytime soon, I just have colorimeter – i1display pro plus, for spectrometer maybe someday. So I can only rely on spectral correction then I guess. Question is : how to know or judge or hint that the choose of spectral correction is right or wrong? – Aside from CCSS by spectrometer, aside from try to check panel technology, which some display I’m not sure I find and choose the right one that why I ask. Just for a hint maybe.

White looking white (no green no red) although it may look cooler or warmer (blu-yellow axis) than you thought

Report verification will show something strange?

Maybe a visually looking white will be very off from assumed whitepoint with a wrong CCSS (DisplayCAL guess blue-yellow and expects that measured white is close to it in red.-green axis)

This hint is an alternative explanation of 1st hint (numerically on spot, visually green or pink)

Follow is another question, report show in target display : profiling from visual white point create profile with Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE*00  “NOT OK” – meaning white point not ok? Off or something? Or that is normal since I pick whitepoint by myself. Anyway color seem to be ok since average, maximum dE* seem good.

explained above

Then for dull display I’ve screen of report uncalibrated, calibrate my laptop show 770:1 >>> 720:1 I think this is why I feel dull then. Another display U2417H I got 900:1 >>> 890:1 which is little, that why I not notice any, I guess.

Corrected grayscale may have a TRC with brigther dark greys than you would expect (non color managed) so percieved contrast is smaller even if contrast window remains close to original. AFAIK main goal in DisplayCAL calibration is grey neutral color then grey tonal separation then requested TRC. Why? because color managed you can have whatever TRC you need… as long as grey is ok (and color management engine does not cause oversimpifications & banding).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS