Setting up blacklevel for more stable readings

Home Forums Help and Support Setting up blacklevel for more stable readings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

i have slight blackcrushing on my 500M with the 3200 patches 3D LUT
    level 19 is barely flashing when looking at the blackclipping file from the avshd709 disc.

before i run the profiling the calibration window reports that the blacklevel is spot on but it isnt.
    its the same without the 3D LUT just some slight blackcrushing but as you change gamma when increasing the brighness setting on the tv it doesnt look good if i try to get level 17 flashing.
    i can do that with brightness set to +3 but gamma near black gets wrong and shadow details lightens up to much.

quesiotn is not only for the blacklevel but also for more accurate readings from my i1D3.
    if i set brightness to +3 it must be easier for the program to shrink the dark levels down properly than the other way around right.
    just as you use a wider color gamut to let the program shrink it down to rec709 it must be the same with blacklevel and gradings near black right?
    +3 brightness will also get brighter details near black and easier for the i1D3 to read with probably higher accuracy.
    as this 500M almost have 0 blacks the near black patterns is really dark with +1 brightness and the meter struggles with them.

is it smart to set a slight higher blacklevel for more stable readings near black?
    and will i get better blacklevel with less blackcrushing after such run?
    or will the program adjust the blacklevel the same as i have now?

i can try but before spending another 3 hours for profiling i ask here 🙂

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks
    that explains it well
    we are not supposed to see the last steps it seems.
    if we do gamma near black is wrong.

so i will continue to use the 3d lut and be happy knowing i dont crush any blacks 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS