Same display, different calibration (switching between OS X 10.11 vs Windows 10)

Home Forums Help and Support Same display, different calibration (switching between OS X 10.11 vs Windows 10)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

TheNoize
    Participant

I have the same old Asus display connected to DVI (Mac Pro) and HDMI (Windows 10 PC w/ GeForce 1080).

I setup both DisplayCALs exactly the same (default Gamma 2.2, Calibration Speed Very High, XYZ LUT+matrix, no black point compensation, 79 patches) on both OSs, and calibrated each at at a time, with my Spyder 5.

Even after setting HDMI RGB to Full range on the PC, the Mac’s black point is darker, on the same monitor. Blues are also less saturated (and greener tint) on the Mac.

Been at this for days, and still can’t figure out why it’s different. Quite the head scratcher :/

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by TheNoize.

Vincent
    Participant

First of all double check if it’s actually darker:
    -measure black with DisplayCAL (fast way tools>report>calibrated screen report & uncalibrated screen report
    -then the same for windows.
    This  way you’ll find if one of these OSes is not loading calibration in graphics card (LUT for RGB=0 input has no zero output)  or HDMI range issue (you may have changed it in control, but I could have not been applied).

If both measure almost equal, then calibration is the same and you have to find the culprit in color management and the profile type you choose.
    Desktop in Windows is not color managed but OSX is color managed although it has lots or rounding error issues.
    You should compare the same image in a color managed editor, the same if you can to avoid different treatment to black point compensation between different solutions.
    If you experience that greener tin in OSX graphical user interface but not in images, it’s OSX fault (what I wrote above). Use simpler profiles like single curve matrix.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS