Resolve 15, Blackmagic Extreme 2 Mac OS x 10.13.4

Home Forums Help and Support Resolve 15, Blackmagic Extreme 2 Mac OS x 10.13.4

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

JacekK
    Participant

Just spent the whole afternoon trying to calibrate my Sony LCD External Display through Resolve 15 with my i1Pro spectrophotometer.

Followed the wiki step-by-step and tried every setting under the sun to get Resolve to generate the pattern on the monitor with no luck.

I connect to the instrument through Resolve no problem and Resolve generates the test chart fine in the GUI window but only two or three times did it generate the first frame of the  test chart – only the first frame on the external monitor.

When DisplayCAL starts the pattern it switches the Computer monitor LUT to the linear one as if wants to calibrate the computer monitor instead of generating the pattern to the external display.

Am I doing something wrong i.e incredibly stupid, or is there an issue with this set up? Asking out of sheer frustration and a wasted holiday Sunday afternoon.

Thank you.

Here is the log from my last attempt.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Extract and attach log from post
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

When DisplayCAL starts the pattern it switches the Computer monitor LUT to the linear one as if wants to calibrate the computer monitor instead of generating the pattern to the external display.

That’s normal and nothing to worry about.

Here is the log from my last attempt:

Please do not paste logfiles into the post itself – it makes for very long unwieldy posts that are hard to parse. Always attach logfiles instead.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Also, please never enable debug mode until explicitly asked (for the same reason).

Looking at the log, I see that your measured black level is extremely high (22 cd/m2). Was the instrument on the correct spot while the reading were performed? Also, it seems that you manually aborted the calibration without starting any measurements afterwards.

JacekK
    Participant

Thank you for the response but the issue is that Resolve generates the pattern on the GUI but the pattern does not display on the external monitor.

Only the first grey patch remains fixed on the external monitor.

I therefore did not place the probe on the external monitor and aborted the run, many many times over.
    I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong or if the setup I have doesn’t work in this workflow.

Apologies for posting the log file, I thought it might help.

Thank you.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by JacekK.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thank you for the response but the issue is that Resolve generates the pattern on the GUI but the pattern does not display on the external monitor.

That looks like a Resolve problem then.

Apologies for posting the log file, I thought it might help.

It’s generally useful, but debug mode makes it really hard to read.

JacekK
    Participant

So in exploring further in the light of day, it seems the problem lies in the switching between DiplayCAL and Resolve. Resolve has to be active for the patches to play on the external monitor but when I interacts with DiplayCAL the patches cease to generate becasue now DiplayCAL is in the foreground. From the several tutorials I have watched there seems to be a greater integration or connectivity between Resolve and DiplayCAL.

In my case it’s either or. If Resolve is active the patches are generated but in order to select the next step in DiplayCAL, I lose connection to the external monitor and I get “Error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed’

JacekK
    Participant

Doh! Thank you!. Your saying it is a Resolve problem made me check preferences and well I kew I was doing something wrong and just saw that in Resolve there is now a preference to release the video i/o hardware and unchecking this has solved the switching program.

So now whenever doing a run I am left with the error:  “Error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed’

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach a log of the run please (w/o debug mode).

JacekK
    Participant

Thank you, here is the log.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure no other software is grabbing the instrument. You can also try to unplug and re-plug it.

JacekK
    Participant

Thank you again. It seems from reading previous posts that this is commonly a USB error. I’ll try as you suggest.

JacekK
    Participant

Success!!! Switched the USB port and it works perfectly now.

Thank you so much for your help! That new preference disconnecting the video i/o is a real gotcha.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That new preference disconnecting the video i/o is a real gotcha.

Indeed, thanks for making me aware about this. I’ll have to update the Wiki.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS