questions after watching tutorial video

Home Forums Help and Support questions after watching tutorial video

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

alfsorenson SourceForge

Florian,

That was a quite nice tutorial video. It answered some of the questions I had, but also created others I’m hoping you can address.

I redid my calibration while watching the video as a guide. The version of the program in the video seems a little earlier than the current, so not quite the same.

My first question has to do with the calibration settings. In the video, I see that you initially set white point at 6500K, then proceed on with measurement. However, instead of seeing the target of 6500K, I’m seeing numbers-triangleE00. The numbers just before triangleE change, so I just got initial and final as close to 0 as I could. Is this the correct procedure here? Later, I did see color temperatures, but this was when measurments were taken a 2nd time. Under the calibration settings of my version of the program, there is a setting for “observer” and I just left this at default (CIE 1931 2). Is it ok to do this or should something else be chosen?

Then there is the section on profiling. Ok to leave these at default (XYZ LUT +matrix), auto optimized test chart for 425 patches, black point compensation not checked?

Using the video with white LED to start with and the above settings, I was able to get 99% sRGB with 6480 temp. Very satisfield and not blue cast this time. I like what you did in the video by reducing brightness under 150 and keeping color temp the same. I have a question here though, if decide I need to increase or decrease monitor brightness, will I need to recalibrate, or is this independent of color temperature?

Final question: My desktop uses dual boot at start up, one is XP OS; the other Win 7. Both share the same circuitry obviously. I just did the cal for the XP. When I boot into ‘7, shouldn’t I disable the interactive monitor adjustment and just let the software run automatically for that? Otherwise, I think I’d be doing a lot of monitor fiddling everytime I boot into the other OS.

Thanks again. No way i’d have ever gotten this far without your help.

Alf

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I redid my calibration while watching the video as a guide. The version of the program in the video seems a little earlier than the current, so not quite the same.

I’m afraid I don’t quite follow. The only video on my YouTube channel (that I don’t really use atm because of lack of time) is the DCG3 preview video. Is that what you meant? It’s not really a tutorial as it only demonstrates a very specific use case (madVR), although plans for video tutorials do exist.

I’m seeing numbers-triangleE00. The numbers just before triangleE change, so I just got initial and final as close to 0 as I could. Is this the correct procedure here?

The intial value is just informational, but you did the correct thing in bringing the current value as close to zero as possible.

nder the calibration settings of my version of the program, there is a setting for “observer” and I just left this at default (CIE 1931 2). Is it ok to do this or should something else be chosen?

Yes, leave it athe default. I would strongly recommend to diable advanced options in the options menu.

Then there is the section on profiling. Ok to leave these at default (XYZ LUT +matrix), auto optimized test chart for 425 patches, black point compensation not checked?

Yes. If you want better accuracy, you can increase the number of patches with the slider (although the Spyder5 is not very fast, so you proabbaly don’t want to increase them too much). The baseline is the425 you mentioned, and should already create decent results.

if decide I need to increase or decrease monitor brightness, will I need to recalibrate, or is this independent of color temperature?

Any adjustment to the monitor usually necessitates recalibration/reprofiling, although to a certain extent you may get away with a slight brightness adjustment.

Final question: My desktop uses dual boot at start up, one is XP OS; the other Win 7. Both share the same circuitry obviously. I just did the cal for the XP. When I boot into ‘7, shouldn’t I disable the interactive monitor adjustment and just let the software run automatically for that? Otherwise, I think I’d be doing a lot of monitor fiddling everytime I boot into the other OS.

You can just copy over the profile from XP to Win7 (or vice versa), no need to do a calibration/profile under each system if it’s the same machine and monitor.

alfsorenson SourceForge

Hi Florian,

I guess I’m pretty bad. Either that or not as observant as I should be :). Anyway, this was the video I was referring to:

Same first name, but not same last. Didn’t notice it until you replied. Sorry. I did find the video quite informative though and followed it almost step by step.

I was going to ask about profiles, whether I could just load the same one into both OS’s, so your answered that. Be that as it may, I did calibration of both today, only adjusting the monitor for the XP OS. It was close enough by the time I booted into ‘7, that I just left all interactive measurements as is and proceeded with calibration. Both systems are showing final results of around 6430K @ 99%sRGB. I could probably have fiddled closer to 6500 when I did the cal in XP yesterday, but I don’t notice any difference in color so will leave it for next time. Rebooting and then verifiying, as is done in the video, continued to show the correct final calibration.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Alf

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I actually remember watching that video now, it’s been around for a while 🙂
    It’s a nice tutorial, even though it’s for the 1.x line of the software.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS