Question about the contrast

Home Forums Help and Support Question about the contrast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

siso82 SourceForge

I was wondering why on some sites, people who calibrate their displays tinker with the contrast of the monitor?In few sites they don’t…
    Is this needed or I should use the native contrast of my monitor(Dell U2913WM). Also I was wondering about the correction options, on auto someone uploaded correction for my monitor from 2013, if I choose white led correction from argyll it is from 2011. With auto correction I have 93,2% srgb coverage, with white led correction i have 96,2% coverage.

Here are my latest calibration results

• This topic was modified on 2016-01-10 16:15:13 by siso82.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I was wondering why on some sites, people who calibrate their displays tinker with the contrast of the monitor?

Technically this depend on the monitor in question, but on many (LCD) computer monitors the ‘contrast’ control actually alters the digital signal in unfavourable ways, which can cause reduced contrast or clipped blacks and highlights. Therefore, it is often best to not touch the ‘contrast’ control (leave it at factory default) and only adjust RGB balance and backlight (for digital TVs on the other hand, the former doesn’t apply in most cases).

Here are my latest calibration results

Looks good.

siso82 SourceForge

Thank you for the info, I tried to raise the contrast, but it ended up very messy :D, regarding the correction, I guess 93,2% are the correct coverage, am I right?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

regarding the correction, I guess 93,2% are the correct coverage, am I right?

It’s up to you to decide which of the corrections you trust more, irrespective of which one gives more or less gamut coverage. Some notes:

• The X-Rite spectral correction for white LED is generic, but was obtained using a high quality lab-grade spectrometer
    • The user-provided correction may or may not be a better match to the specific display
    • Without a more accurate instrument (=spectrometer) to validate, it’s unknown which one of the corrections actually provides the more accurate result

siso82 SourceForge

Well, this is kinda confusing, you don’t know which one to trust…auto correction or manual WLED correction…93,2% vs 96,2%. On auto it gives me to choose this correction only http://colorimetercorrections.hoech.net/?get&type=ccmx&manufacturer_id=DEL&display=DELL%20U2913WM&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display&html=1 I have no idea who uploaded it, and if it is reliable at all…

• This reply was modified on 2016-01-22 08:21:49 by siso82.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have no idea who uploaded it, and if it is reliable at all…

That could be a reason to prefer the generic correction. Ultimately, it’s not a decision I can make for you though. It’s probably not worth to overthink it though: If you’re not trying to match several displays to one another, or to a known reference, then you’ll not be able to quantify the difference anyway.

siso82 SourceForge

Actually, I made 2 calibrations lately, one with w-led correction and one with auto correction from the database,it seems somehow the auto correction is a little more acurate, especially on Lagom lcd tests.If those are reliable at all…Example like this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php on this test with auto correction I can clearly see 253 and barely 254 as it should be, with w-led correction I can’t see 254 at all, and 253 is barely visible…

• This reply was modified on 2016-01-22 21:55:19 by siso82.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS