Question about software configuration

Home Forums Help and Support Question about software configuration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tallsfalls SourceForge

Hi,
    I’ve calibrated my monitor (Dell U2412M) using the dispcalGUI software and a Spyder5EXPRESS colorimeter to match sRGB. My question is if I have to configure the software I use (Mozilla Firefox, XnViewMP, Adobe Photoshop) to use the created .icm profile to see accurate colors. Or, if not, how should I configure these color managed applications.
    At the moment I’ve got them configured this way:

Thanks a lot!

• This topic was modified on 2015-09-13 18:21:26 by tallsfalls.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My question is if I have to configure the software I use (Mozilla Firefox, XnViewMP, Adobe Photoshop)

• Photoshop does not require configuration to use the display profile, it’ll always use the currently assigned profile (in Windows color management settings) for the used display. Do not set the RGB working space to your display profile, in most cases this should be the most likely space for untagged images or images created in Photoshop (e.g. sRGB).
    • For Firefox, I recommend altering a few settings in about:config:
      gfx.color_management.mode 1 (enables color management for all images)
      gfx.color_management.enablev4 true (enables cLUT display profiles as well)
    • XnView is correctly configured in your screenshot and will handle untagged images as sRGB.

tallsfalls SourceForge

Thanks for your reply.
    Now I’m using the sRGB color space on Photoshop, assigning it to untagged images. The problem is that I’m experimenting a different representation of the same picture on photoshop, although it looks almost the same on Firefox and XnView. This problem is evident while representing the attached picture, but it always happens. Note that I’m using Perceptual rendering intent in Photoshop, as in Xnview and Firefox.
    The main difference is that it looks bluish in Firefox, while reddish in Photoshop, and somehow an intermediate point in XnView. Curiously, I had similar colors while I was using the .icm profile as the working space.

EDIT: Well it seems that I’ve solved my problem by using a “Curves + matrix” profile type instead of “XYZ LUT + matrix”. Probably it was a compatibility issue.

• This reply was modified on 2015-09-14 16:21:35 by tallsfalls.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A few points:

• The image is B&W, so there shouldn’t be any visible colorization.
    • In Photoshop, you’ll want to deactivate OpenGL compositing for most accurate color (under settings, performance). Photoshop will always use relative colorimetric + black point compensation for its preview, but you can do a custom softproof (set simulated device profile to your display profile and rendering intent to perceptual. Don’t enable “Keep RGB numbers”).
    • In XnView, the attached image will never look correct because the display profile isn’t used by XnView for images in indexed color spaces (GIF, PNG8). This is a shortcoming of XnView.
    • Firefox doesn’t do a very accurate black point mapping. This may be due to compositing or a performance optimisation in its color engine.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS