Question about CAMCA02 and gamma

Home Forums Help and Support Question about CAMCA02 and gamma

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hi Florian

Is CAMCA02 compatible with the ITU BT 1886 gamma formula? … Or does it only work on data created using power formulas with fixed exponents, ie 2..2 etc.?

I wonder since near blacks are being manipulated with the 1886 formulas whereas they are not with power formulas… CAMCA02 in the ‘Lumanace matched appearance’ mode from normal viewing environment to darkened viewing environment effectively changes the near black gamma curve to appear more like how ity looks in normal room light,(as well as color appearance mostly in the reds). So I wonder if CAMCA02 would still be a valid calculation using different gamma formulas to create original data.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

CAM02 can be used irrespective of BT.1886.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thank you Florian

BTW, I forgot to ask you… Does CAM02 apply for movies as well as still images?  ie, darkened destination environments?  … Are movies mastered in normal room lighting?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You choose source and destination viewing conditions. For movies, source viewing condition would be a darkened environment, and destination your actual environment.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks, so what about if the source and the destination are both ‘darkened invironments’? Would running CAM02 make any difference?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That would be a little bit pointless 🙂

Steve Smith
    Participant

Yes, I suppose you’re right. But I just wanted to be sure that there wasn’t something else happening here that I might be missing…

Could you please tell me what the source lighting conditions would be for normal photography. I mean are we looking at the surrounding lighting at the time of camera exposure, or are we looking at the lighting surrounding the editing on some guy’s computer afterword?

Thanks. 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Could you please tell me what the source lighting conditions would be for normal photography.

It really depends on your workflow. If you’re developing RAW files, then you can either go to a display-referred working space early (and perhaps assume the original scene viewing conditions for the conversion) or let the adjustments via the RAW developer be part of the creative process. If you’re working with photos in a well-defined RGB working space (e.g. sRGB or AdobeRGB), then the viewing conditions are already “monitor in (relatively) dim surround”, basically.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks! … OK, so If I’m editing my photography in  a RAW  converter under  ‘Dim lighting’  conditions and expect others to be viewing them in ‘normal lighting’ conditions, and I want them to see ‘what I saw’ then I should set CAM02 to ‘Source dim’ and ‘Destination normal’?  Is that correct? Or should we not use CAM02 at all during RAW editing because RAW has no defined color-space to begin with.

So should I edit in RAW without CAM02, then convert into jpeg, check results using CAM02?

Getting confused… Better if I just ask you your recommendations for RAW photo editing in dim light intended for normal light viewing by others cells, tablets, laptops and desktops.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Nevermind, I reread your above post and realized that you already answered my questions…Sorry.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Florian…

OK, I  have a question for you… What is the best way to view jpeg images created by average people (non-professionals) in my darkened lighting environment using CAM02?

Should I create a profile using CAM02 with ‘source’ being ‘normal’ and destination being ‘darkened’? or would there be a better way to set the source? for average photography?

BTW, nice updates to Dispcal the other day! I especially like the RGB indicators on the ‘gray balance’ graph. And the touch-ups to the interface… Nice job. Your program just keeps getting better and better… So refined and useful! 🙂

Using a color managed image viewer, of course.

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

OK, I have a question for you… What is the best way to view jpeg images created by average people (non-professionals) in my darkened lighting environment using CAM02?

If you don’t know the source viewing conditions, don’t use CAM02 🙂

Computer monitors can generally be assumed to be used in a relatively dim surround.

BTW, nice updates to Dispcal the other day! I especially like the RGB indicators on the ‘gray balance’ graph. And the touch-ups to the interface… Nice job. Your program just keeps getting better and better… So refined and useful! ?

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS