(Projector) How does the probe know?

Home Forums General Discussion (Projector) How does the probe know?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Hi Gurus>

When measuring a projector screen, how does the probe know how bright it actually is in nits when it doesn’t know its distance/angle from the screen?

Vincent
    Participant

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Thx vincent,  does that mean, as long as the circle is not outside of the screen, it will always read the correct brightness? Or do we have to input a calculated number somewhere.

Vincent
    Participant

Did you read the PDF?

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

I did read it vincent, but the nuances escape me.

So I have the circle, but what happens if I tilt the meter a bit or if it’s very far back. It does not say anything about the distance, will the reading be correct at a distance?

Vincent
    Participant

So I have the circle, but what happens if I tilt the meter a bit or if it’s very far back. It does not say anything about the distance, will the reading be correct at a distance?

As you move the probe circle diameter changes… make sure patch size covers it. And if you don’t it will measure ofther light than your patch.

If you tilt it check if it covers the patch: draw a schema & apply tigonometry: 2 angles in that drawing.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Vincent.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Thanks for explaining that Vincent. If I have the circle, and now it’s an oval, the reading will still be correct?  Would off axis be more susceptible to other light that’s reflecting in the room?

Would it help if I figure out the circle, then blacked out the light around it with some matte black material.  Or is measuring as is better take into account the complete system, which includes some of the light bouncing around.

Vincent
    Participant

[…]… make sure patch size covers it. And if you don’t it will measure ofther light than your patch.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Vincent, Excuse my poor drawing of my last question. It involves patch size, but also reflections+ambient. Should the patch size be the whole screen or make it smaller, or should it be big, but then matte-d out on the sides.

Would an oval be worse now because I’ve tilted it, and is it getting more stray light because the area is bigger than a circle would’ve been at perpendicular? Stray light from the rest of the image/patch/etc red line.  Blue line is the patch in the oval.

Also, should the angle match where my head would be facing the screen to take into account any off axis response of the screen material?

View post on imgur.com

Vincent
    Participant

Vincent, Excuse my poor drawing of my last question. It involves patch size, but also reflections+ambient. Should the patch size be the whole screen or make it smaller, or should it be big, but then matte-d out on the sides.

Patch bigger than viewing angle, do the maths, that’s all.

Would an oval be worse now because I’ve tilted it, and is it getting more stray light because the area is bigger than a circle would’ve been at perpendicular? Stray light from the rest of the image/patch/etc red line.  Blue line is the patch in the oval.

Also, should the angle match where my head would be facing the screen to take into account any off axis response of the screen material?

Tilted it will get less light than in the direction of the normal vector from the wall  and your eyes will get less light too if they are in the same position… so what is the problem?

Make sure you do not measure outside patch and taht’s all.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Vincent.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the clarification Vincent. Sorry for my noober questions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS