Problems calibrating 2 monitors to the same white point

Home Forums Help and Support Problems calibrating 2 monitors to the same white point

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bimbar
    Participant

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte M28U and a Samsung LS27A70 side by side. I assume they use different backlight technologies.

I calibrated both using a) a i1Display Pro and b) a Colormunki Photo and both come out with the M28U having a green tint compared to the Samsung.

In the end I calibrated the Samsung using the colorimeter, which white looked ok to me and matched the M28U by eye, but should I have to do that? Shouldn’t the calibration just work?

Any advice?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Read spectral power distribution of 2 displays with munki (high res mode) and use that information to measure with colorimeter of find a better correction between the bundles ones at 1nm resolution.
    Your spectrophtomer has resolution limitations. i1d3 colorimeter needs to know backlight type. Last but not least error is observer metameric failure, technology cannot override this.

bimbar
    Participant

I did try that, but the i1 display pro and the colormunki come out to about the same result, pretty much regardless of correction.

So you think it’s because the calculations of the colorimeters do not match up with the psychovisual effect it has on my eyes?

Vincent
    Participant

I did try that, but the i1 display pro and the colormunki come out to about the same result, pretty much regardless of correction.

We do not know technology by SPD inspection, only you

So you think it’s because the calculations of the colorimeters do not match up with the psychovisual effect it has on my eyes?

Not “psychovisual”… just your observer (YOU) do not match std obsever on certain wavelegths present in the spikes of those displays, since std observer is a mean of humans.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

bimbar, build mtx correction for i1d3 upon spectral correction, got by ColorMunki. Note, you must get all corrctions for resetted display and near desirable brightness level. Yes, if two displays use different lighting technology, you may see color difference between them (in “standard calibrated state”), cause white point color temperature is determinated for full spectrum light sources, but it is a some heretic thing for a set of spectral peaks, coming from display. There’s perceptual effect (here I disagree with Vincent, this effect works for all people, I always see similar differences with my clients, personal differences are less valuable in this comparison). Another problem is that your devices are not of reference quality, so better way is:

1. Make a choice, what display is more important to you. Find out most stable WP near 6500K by eye using either display menu (set 6500K, then return to “as measured”), or xy WP choice tool.
    2. Make quick calibration, check reference portrait images  look (attached), correct WP to make portraits have most real look. You may use Calibrilla tool for slight WP correction inside profile and recording new RGB maximum (this is needed if you’ve set WP in xy choice tool), but correction in display menu is more easy way. Remake the profile with new parameters and good quality.
    3. Set the same WP for the second display and do the same procedure. Check reference images too. Sometimes you can’t get strictly the same result, so some difference in WP is needed.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS