Problem with a 0 black reading

Home Forums Help and Support Problem with a 0 black reading

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

stef22
    Participant

Good morning Florian!

My projector (JVC RS500) is givine my i1DisplayPro a hard time: The meter is unable to read its black level. It starts giving a reading at 3% only.

So, no matter what I chose when creating a 3dlut, the resulting gamma is a flat line down to 0ire. I would like to brighten the lower end in a “1886” way though, to “open up” the shadows (ie going from a 2.4 gamma from 100 down to 20, and then gradually reducing the gamma as I approach 0ire).

there is no black crush though, as I can still barely see the 17 bar flashing on my brightness test pattern with and without the 3dlut activated.

Is there  way get my gamma to behave the way I want it? I have tried to adjust the lower end of my gamma curve afterwards using my projector’s internal controls. I have gotten quite close to the curve I want, but is that a good idea to adjust my display’s settings after profiling it?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by stef22.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there way get my gamma to behave the way I want it? I have tried to adjust the lower end of my gamma curve afterwards using my projector’s internal controls. I have gotten quite close to the curve I want, but is that a good idea to adjust my display’s settings after profiling it?

Adjusting a display after profiling should not be done generally because the profile will then no longer describe the display accurately. In the end, it’s up to you though if you can live with this.

stef22
    Participant

Thank you. So, is there another way to modify the gamma response of my display between 0 and 20 ire if my black level is measured as 0?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thank you. So, is there another way to modify the gamma response of my display between 0 and 20 ire if my black level is measured as 0?

Not that I can think of.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS