Perfecting sRGB on PA248Q?

Home Forums Help and Support Perfecting sRGB on PA248Q?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dan Parratt
    Participant

I purchased a new monitor recently (Asus PA248Q) as I noticed that all of my images on my previous monitor looked fine, but were far too dark on on every other device I own, even after calibrating the display numerous times. Unfortunately, I’ve run into a couple of issues with this monitor too – the “factory calibration” is far too orange/red and although I was able to mostly correct this with my ColorMunki Display and X-Rite’s software, I thought I would give DisplayCAL a go to see if I could get an even better colour match.

From my knowledge, this monitor should be capable of displaying 100% sRGB – which is what I currently work in.  This is where I’m running into an issue: I’m using DisplayCAL to calibrate & profile my monitor (on “Standard” mode, as this apparently yields the best Delta E results – via TFTCentral) though I am unable to hit anywhere near 100% sRGB coverage, even when using the ‘very large testchart’ via the profiling window. Last night, I managed to hit 99.7% coverage with a very low Detla E but decided to re-profile this morning as “verify calibration” & “measurement report” both showed inconsistencies, but after re-profiling, I’m back to 95.6%.

I’ve read through the documentation & think I full understand how to use the program, but have uploaded my compressed profile archive here so that it’s easier to see what I’m working with, and to see if anyone can let me know if I selected any incorrect settings.

I’m also wondering if I should be using the “Standard” / “sRGB” mode on the monitor OSD? (these have no ability to adjust rgb) OR if I should be using a user defined mode & adjusting the RGB within the interactive display adjustment menu?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

this monitor should be capable of displaying 100% sRGB

Manufacturer specifications should always be taken with a big grain of salt. True gamut volume measurements necessitate using a 3D comparison, and manufacturers as well as testing sites tend to rely on the less accurate 2D xy coverage, or quote manufacturer numbers verbatim. Btw, TFTcentral gives 95.8% sRGB, which coincides with your own measurements (95.6%), so I don’t see a problem there.

Note that increasing testchart patches will not alter the gamut as it is a monitor (hardware) property, and the only thing that may have influence are the RGB gain controls on the monitor.

Dan Parratt
    Participant

this monitor should be capable of displaying 100% sRGB

Manufacturer specifications should always be taken with a big grain of salt. True gamut volume measurements necessitate using a 3D comparison, and manufacturers as well as testing sites tend to rely on the less accurate 2D xy coverage, or quote manufacturer numbers verbatim. Btw, TFTcentral gives 95.8% sRGB, which coincides with your own measurements (95.6%), so I don’t see a problem there.

Oh damn, I must have absolutely skipped over the part about them getting 95.8% sRGB coverage – that info kind of makes my thread completely pointless now, doesn’t it, haha! Sorry about that, Florian (I must have I misread the 99% output last night).

Note that increasing testchart patches will not alter the gamut as it is a monitor (hardware) property, and the only thing that may have influence are the RGB gain controls on the monitor.

Thank you – I understand that an increase in patches doesn’t alter the gamut, but I assumed it would result in a more accurate profile overall.

I assume my profile configuration is correctly set up for a sRGB color space?

Thanks again!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s nothing special to do or change the profiling options based on colorspace, so in a way, yes.

You could try calibrating to the nominal 6504K whitepoint, but it’s not a must.

Dan Parratt
    Participant

There’s nothing special to do or change the profiling options based on colorspace, so in a way, yes.

You could try calibrating to the nominal 6504K whitepoint, but it’s not a must.

Thank you, Florian! Sorry it’s taken a while to reply, but I really appreciate your help & project.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS