Passing "-display :8.0" to dispwin

Home Forums Help and Support Passing "-display :8.0" to dispwin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sillyxone
    Participant

My laptop has Nvidia Optimus, I’m using Ubuntu with bumblebee and intel-virtual-output. As a result, my external monitor is wired to Nvidia chip via HDMI, and intel-virtual-output pipes the graphic through a virtual display at :8.

DisplayCal correctly detects both monitors but it can only make changes to the internal laptop screen, it doesn’t show any error when applying changes to external monitor, although the change doesn’t have any effect. After playing on the CLI for a bit, I found that the ‘-d 2,2’ flag doesn’t apply the change, have to use ‘-display :8’ or ‘-display :8.0’ instead.

I tried passing the flag in DisplayCAL (Options > Advanced > Set additional commandline arguments …), but there’s nothing for dispwin in there (only for dispcal, dispread, …)

Setting the env $DISPLAY=:8 will run DisplayCAL from CLI, but the main window will appear for a second then disappear. It’s still there, I can see various combo boxes flashing when mouse over but it doesn’t draw correctly on the screen.

Is there a workaround with the current version, or is it more like a feature request?

thanks much.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

DisplayCal correctly detects both monitors but it can only make changes to the internal laptop screen, it doesn’t show any error when applying changes to external monitor, although the change doesn’t have any effect.

That sounds like a bug in the graphics driver then.

Setting the env $DISPLAY=:8 will run DisplayCAL from CLI, but the main window will appear for a second then disappear.

There’s no special display handling in the UI, if the toolkit can’t draw to the screen, then that’s that, and not really anything I can do about. The bumblebee solution should really just present itself transparently to applications (i.e. applications shouldn’t have to know or care how the underlying windowing system is setup), if it doesn’t do that, then there is little chance anything higher up will work correctly with such a setup.

sillyxone
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll play around with profile_loader.py to see if I can make it works. Currently I can use “xcalib -d :8.0 profile.icc” or “dispwin -display :8 profile.icc” in the CLI to correctly manipulate the external monitor. Would be great if DisplayCal can have an option to specify “display” flag and pass that on  to the various program instead of using “-d”.

I was able to calibrate my external monitor by resetting with dispwin manually beforehand (“dispwin -display :8 -c”), then pass “-display :8” to dispcal, run calibration, then manually apply the generated ICC either with xcalib or dispwin. It works but a little tedious, trying to see if that can be supported directly in DisplayCal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS