New to calibration, need some guidance

Home Forums Help and Support New to calibration, need some guidance

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

xtnvieira
    Participant

Hello,

As the title suggests, I’m new to calibrating monitors but recently I’ve decided to take up freelance video/presentation editing (been doing it for years, but it’s not become a full-time gig for me).

As I’ve been getting my home work station set up, I decided to purchase a second monitor for to connect to my late 2012 15″ MacBook Pro Retina. I opted to purchase the Dell P2415Q (24″ 4K UHD) — a bit overkill for my current MBPr, I know, but I’ll be upgrading the computer in the next year to a newer model.

Like I said, I primarily am a video producer/editor but also design presentations for companies. This is the PRIMARY use I have for my new Dell monitor. SECONDARY is photo editing — my first question is rather simple, am I able to save multiple monitor color profiles and switch between them using DisplayCAL? I was considering having 1 profile for video/presentation editing and 1 profile specifically for photo editing.

More importantly, I’m having trouble understanding what setting I should be using to calibrate both of my displays.

As far as hardware is concerned, I opted to get the Spyder5Express based on price and reviews, but yesterday I realized I may not be able to properly calibrate my Dell monitor with the Spyder. It seems as though Dell monitors may require the use of i1 Display Pro, and are not compatible with the Spyder5? Can anyone confirm?

Additionally, I really am uncertain of what Display/Correction settings to choose for both the Dell & MBP options. Based upon research these are my best guesses:

Mode: LCD (generic)

Correction: LCD White LED IPS (will this work for my Dell and MBP?)

And what “Settings” profile should I be choosing?  For Dell: “Video (D65, Rec. 1886)” for my video needs, and “Photo (D50, Gamma 2.2)” for photo editing?

For MBP: Would I just choose “Laptop”?

Sorry for the wall of text, I’m just at a bit of a loss since this is all new to me. Just trying to step up my equipment game for future work!

Thanks in advance!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

my first question is rather simple, am I able to save multiple monitor color profiles and switch between them using DisplayCAL?

You can switch profiles in OS X system settings.

I was considering having 1 profile for video/presentation editing and 1 profile specifically for photo editing.

If you don’t have the need to match to a D50 viewing booth for prints or another reference, one profile should suffice.

As far as hardware is concerned, I opted to get the Spyder5Express based on price and reviews, but yesterday I realized I may not be able to properly calibrate my Dell monitor with the Spyder. It seems as though Dell monitors may require the use of i1 Display Pro, and are not compatible with the Spyder5?

That probably concerns the vendor software that drives the respective colorimeter, but there is no hardware limitation on either that would make it unsuitable. The i1 Display Pro is the markedly more capable instrument in terms of precision and speed though.

More importantly, I’m having trouble understanding what setting I should be using to calibrate both of my displays.

“Video (D65, Rec. 1886)” seems like a good fit according to your needs. In case you need a 3D LUT for grading software as well, perhaps one of the video 3D LUT presets.

Additionally, I really am uncertain of what Display/Correction settings to choose for both the Dell & MBP options.

Both the Dell and MBP are probably white LED backlit, so choose mode “White LED” (correction will be set automatically to “None” if choosing a specific mode).

For MBP: Would I just choose “Laptop”?

Possibly. If you want the MBP to match the Dell, it’ll be easier to visually adjust the Dell’s whitepoint to match the MBP’s instead of the other way around. The latter was already discussed at length in several threads in this forum.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS