Microsoft Surface Book: calibration and profiling for photography

Home Forums Help and Support Microsoft Surface Book: calibration and profiling for photography

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Andre84RG
    Participant

Hi Florian and dear users,

I want to thank you for developing and supporting everyday this amazing tool. I’m using it since 1 month and it’s a reliable and complete software.
    Last month I’ve bought my dream machine: the Microsoft Surface Book with dGPU.

Looking at measurement reports I’ve found a very good contrast ratio (1550-1700), very good black point (0.06cd/m2)

So I’ve decided to check if there’s any improvement in calibrating and profiling the Panasonic IPS panel in the SB.

Initially I had some issues in profiling only too. The Windows UI became pink and greenish. I suspected that the cause was the battery. I’ve run all the calibration and profiling just on battery and I suppose the Intel driver was dimmering continuosly the elements on the screen to save power.
    I know this behaviour because on others Intel HD520 Skylake GPUs powered machines there was an option in Intel control panel to manage the on screen elements brighness accordingly to their luminance.

Lucklily I’ve fixed the issue running all the calibration and profiling on AC.

I’ve found the stock color temperature of the screen is about 6900-7000K, a bit too cooler for photography work.
    I’m not proofing under calibrated light (D50), I don’t need it actually. I usually print with Graphistudio, which print high quality made in Italy books, and I’ve found the 6500K target good for my purposes.

My purpose is photography and video editing, in general images going on the web, wedding books, spare prints for clients (not fine art), printed advertising (not color critical). So I assume the 6500K target is good.

I know for laptops is better going with native CCT to avoid tinting, clipping and so on. But 6900K looks a bit too cooler IMHO.

I’ve created multiple profiles to check what’s the best.

1. Target CCT at 6500K, gamma 2.2, and white point at 100cd (which suits best my usual environment brightness)
    2. Original display temperature, gamma 2.2, white point at 100cd;
    3. Original display temperature, original gamma, white point at 100cd;
    4. Target CCT at 6500K, original gamma, white point at 100cd.

I’ve attached all the measurement reports to check what’s the best profile to work with. With  best I mean the one with less banding, tinting, color shifting and clipping.
    I suppose these are parameters to check to see a good calibration and/or profiling

I’ve put a number corresponding to the profiles listed above to simplify reading. Even if I’m sure I’ve mixed some of them because it was a bit late in the night, I was tired of various hours of trying to fix the green and pink tints.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

in case you’re looking for the “best” settings to use, there is no such thing – it’s all entirely subjective, and depending on your needs. If you’re having a hard time deciding, go with the 6500K gamma 2.2 profile.

Andre84RG
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
    My doubt was all about calibrating a laptop screen: as far as I know it isn’t the best way to do it because the lack of RGB controls to vary the CCT.
    Changing the RGB parameters on the GPU LUT is the worst way to do that, so I avoid this solution.
    But from what I’m seeing I haven’t any tinting and the measurement reports are encouraging.
    I’d like your opinion (if you have some time of course) about the various measurement reports.

One thing I didn’t understand is why the final CCT is about 6400K, not 6500K. Probably it’s the best result to obtain without introducing issues?
    If I do the gamma test on Lagom website the values are all wrong: none of them it’s at 2.2.
    Is there anything wrong?
    Looking at measurement reports, again, looks fine to me.
    Thanks for your time.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I do the gamma test on Lagom website the values are all wrong: none of them it’s at 2.2.

See  the FAQ.

Andre84RG
    Participant

Thanks, very kind. I’ll check the FAQ.

Lukedriftwood
    Participant

The Panasonic IPS panels used in Surface Book and Surface Laptop employ a quite unique “white LED” phosphor blend, which may involve potassium fluorosilicate, creating a characteristic narrow red peak in the backlight spectrum. I don’t believe DisplayCal has a spectral offset for this specific backlight type when using a colorimeter.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Lukedriftwood.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS