Loader unloads and reloads about 5000x a day, normal?

Home Forums Help and Support Loader unloads and reloads about 5000x a day, normal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

AndyWee
    Participant

I have a question. Loader unloads and reloads about 5000-8000x a day, normal? both my zbook workstations are experiencing this problem. Every time the WiFi jumps to the another AP or when a bluetooth is turned on and/or off. is this normal?

both are currently on win10 1803 update.

the problem is it unloads and reloads, causing a flicker.  one of the zbook is a dreamcolor and i was able to load the LUT into LUT engine, so the screen is hardware calibrated and thus the flicker isnt so obvious.

but the other zbook isnt a dreamcolor and has a green cast. using that non-dreamcolor zbook is become somewhat like a disco.

http://www.andywee.com/pictures/disp2.mp4

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have a question. Loader unloads and reloads about 5000-8000x a day, normal?

Yes. The interval is once every three seconds, so yes. But it depends on how many program(s) and background services are started and closed. If you use a lot of programs in quick succession, then you will see that it reloads more often than when you don’t use the computer at all.

the problem is it unloads and reloads

No, that’s not how it works. The profile loader only ever reloads, never unloads calibration. If you see calibration unloading, then it’s caused by some other program or service. You should find it and disable it if possible.

AndyWee
    Participant

i realized that connect/disconnecting VPN, ipad, D850, phaseone, external drive and thumbdrive causes that unload and load just like the mp4 video clip. i have disabled all non-microsoft services and only have displaycal load loading at start up and it still exhibits this visual issue. I am certain it’s a displaycal issue. I previously came from a 2016 calman studio that has got a active loader. but it doesnt exhibit any of this issues.

that said it’s not a everyday thing that I can hit 8000.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by AndyWee.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Again, this it not how it works. The loader never unloads. Humor me: Quit the loader after it has loaded calibration. Now, do any of the things that cause an unload of calibration. You will see that calibration is still unloaded, except it won’t be automatically restored because the loader is not running.

t.bouwmann
    Participant

Does your PC have an Intel integrated GPU? Then that is probably the problem.

1. See my problem on my Surface Pro on this forum
    2. Microsoft Communities
    3. Reddit: Random flickering of custom ICC color profile

AndyWee
    Participant

i can confirm it’s not a DisplayCal issue. I managed to reinstall my windows and used Calman. even calman is exhibiting this issue.

t.bouwmann
    Participant

i can confirm it’s not a DisplayCal issue. I managed to reinstall my windows and used Calman. even calman is exhibiting this issue.

I already replied to you but because of the links it is still waiting for approval. Does your PC have an Intel integrated GPU?  And do you have Windows 10 version 1803? Then that is probably the problem.

Search on Reddit for “Random flickering of custom ICC color profile”. I’m trying to figure out what the problem is there, my username is Tbo-art. And there is also a question in the Microsoft Communities which you could check out, search for “Win 10 pro, NEW UPDATE, 1803, OS build 17124.1 resets custom ICC profiles to default ones on both of my screens…”

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by t.bouwmann.

Lionel Motte
    Participant

hello,

i was ready to make a thread about calibration unload when i enable bluetooth from notification panel until i find this thread. No solution yet? I already tried changing settings on intel panel ( i5 7200u integrated graphics )

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Until MS fixes this problem (if ever), you can enable “Use Windows display calibration” on the “Advanced” tab in Windows color management settings. This won’t get rid of the problem, but it reduces the time between calibration lost and being reapplied. Another option is to just profile, and not calibrate.

CleverCoder
    Participant

I found a related thread, and started to get a bit concerned. I’m seeing an unusually high number of “calibration state (re)applied” happening. Around 11,000 by 10:00 AM. Running an NVIDIA 1080 GTX Founders Edition with latest drivers on Windows 10. I have two monitors, and one currently disabled (it’s active for my Mac at the moment)

• I don’t have the “Use Windows Display Calibration” option enabled in Windows color management settings.
    • I don’t have the “NVIDIA settings” enabled in the NVIDIA control panel for either color management or video settings

Perhaps if I had a way to know how DisplayCAL checks to see if the profile needs re-applying I can help troubleshoot this further. I like the idea of “automatically” ensuring the profiles are loaded, but there does seem to be something a little off with the method.

I’m going to chase down some of the Microsoft discussion mentioned above. It would be nice if it’s really an issue, or something “by design”. Perhaps Microsoft is also trying to re-apply things, and there’s a battle going on!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach a ZIP of the DisplayCAL-apply-profiles logfiles please.

CleverCoder
    Participant

Sure thing! I didn’t anything unusual in them, but they are attached. Thanks!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. That looks normal. You can run the profile loader (DisplayCAL-apply-profiles, not the launcher) with the --verbose=2 option to get more output and log automatric reloads as well.

Note that the loader will reload calibration whenever it detects a newly started or closed application/service, or if it detects that the video card gamma table has changed from the intended calibration state, and it checks for those events every three seconds (so automatic reloading cannot happen faster than that, with the exception of a detected change in the display configuration, i.e. monitor enabled/disabled).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Florian Höch.

CleverCoder
    Participant

Interesting! I need to run out for a couple of hours, but I’ll restart it with the additional logging. I’m curious to see what might be triggering the reloads.

Thanks again!

CleverCoder
    Participant

I gave it some time, but now that I know how to get the logging I need and the circumstances that trigger a reload, it seems to have settled down. I’ve been checking it since I posted this and it seems much less chatty. Hitting 3729 today (although I haven’t really used my computer!). I’m going to run it as normal and as soon as I see the pattern again, I’ll crank up the logging. Also, for reference, the things that seem to be triggering reloads are: dllhost.exe and Chrome.

When I get some time I’m going to try and figure out what Windows (or whatever process) is triggering the DLL loading with dllhost. I can imagine Windows 10 dynamically kicking off routines with dllhost.exe in the background for regular Windows operation. Also, I’m thinking the sandboxed process model of Chrome makes those processes come and go like crazy.

Thanks again, and I’ll update this thread if I find anything substantial.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS