Laptop issue vcgt

Home Forums Help and Support Laptop issue vcgt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

Hello I’m trying to calibrate the screen but each time if i chose to use vcgt the screen becomes really red. I have tried to use the default laptop preset and also to change the whitepoint to 6500k (as measured set it to around 8500k) but nothing works. Might there be a conflict with an other application or is the calibration probably correct ? Thanks.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

Maybe it’s related but if I try the interactive white point adjustment (even if my laptop doesn’t have hardware screen color correction) the colorimeter mesure a clear excess of blue over green and red while it is I think false. It may be related but I have a TN screen.

Vincent
    Participant

It would very useful if you provide laptop’s description, OS, measurement device and the kind of correction you used with it.
    Uploading your troublesome profiles or taking an screenshot of “calibration curves” in DisplayCAL profile info would be helpful too.
    Otherwise I think that people will find difficult to help you.

If you use Windows you can use “autoruns”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
    You can check which tasks or programs are runing at startup/logon and search for other calibration solutions running in your system.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

Okay I’ll send the profile and screens hots of calibration curves when ill get home. I have a ColorMunki Display, I’m on the last version of Windows 10, my laptop is a MSI GE63VR 7RF, I at first tried to set the white point at as measured and then at 6500K and the other options where at the laptop preset default.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

And I also tried with and without white led correction for the colorimeter.

Vincent
    Participant

Does it use a display with P3-like gamut?
    You should use a suitable spectral correction for that Munki Display. WLED correction is for sRGB LED displays.

AFAIK there are no generic bundled correction for that P3 backlight in i1Profiler or Munki software, just RGphosphor (GB-LED) or RGBLED. You may want to try them.
    Some manufacturer’s OEM versions of Xrite i1Profiler have specific correction for that kind of displays (latest version of Dell software, 1.6.5). You may want to try to import that corrections with DisplayCAL or ArgllCMS oeminst.
    I think that there is a bug in oeminst that marks all EDR (Xrite’s spectral correction) converted to CCSS (spectral corrections) as if they were CRT/Plasma like. Check CCSS contents in “REFRESH=YES” and set it to NO… but maybe I am wrong.

If using GB-LED, RGBLED or Panasonic (Dell software) correction DisplayCAL reports ~8500K CCT… then your uncalibrated display has a lot of blue compared to D65. The device is right in its measurement.
    It could have a lot of pink or green too, so it may not be even close a “cool white at 8500K” but a white with a strong cyan or pink tint.
    Huge whitepoint corrections done in graphics card LUT may give you some rounding errors and other issues.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

I don’t know for the gamut the reference of the screen is Chi Mei N156HHE-GA1 (CMN15F4) and for panel look it is a WLED type display. I will look for the rest once I get home. Thanks for the reply. 

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

I tried RGphosphor and RGBLED but neither of them solved the problem. I know that my screen have by default a little blue tint but not that much with vcgt active the screen is really too much red (especially noticeable in dard areas where the black is heavely red tinted. I linked the first measure that i made with the laptop preset and everything else at default (except number of patches) and the curves.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Remy Zawislak. Reason: Forgot the profile
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

And REFRESH in the ccss files are set to NO.

Vincent
    Participant

That calibration curves look typical from a low quality TN panel (whatever backlight technology it uses) whith a huge color cast in greys.
    Also calibration curves do not show a significative amount of “calibration” near blacks or white. They are left unmodified… so you cannot see that huge red cast you say in them because of calibration.But you may see it in greys.

If you do see the greys in the same color as white while uncalibrated, maybe there is some kind of autodimming active in your laptop. Take a look on autoruns or check what graphical utils are bundled with that MSI.

Edit: dark greys (RGB11-30) TRC shows a color cast, your device measured it (post calibration, profiling stage). Since display showed a significative amount of loss in unique grey levels (>10% even whitout grey or black correction) it could be caused by graphics card rounding errors.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

My screen is a TN panel but i don’t think that he is that bad after calibration displaycal reports 100%sRGB and more than 90% adobe and dci-p3 and an average deltaE of less than 0.5 and max less than 1.5. But if I try to do a verification then i have warnings. With dragon center comes msi rgb’s but it cannot be uninstalled (only desactivated).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Remy Zawislak
    Participant

If it is caused by rounding error is there a way to limit this problem?

Vincent
    Participant

Backlight techonoly equals gamut coverage. Your specific LED technology backlight gives you that kind of coverage, whatever panel is mounted on that led backlight.

Panel technology and quality is not equal to gamut coverage; it is related to viewing angles, contrast, native white, grey neutrality and bit depth.
    From your calibration curves it looks like a bad quality TN panel with huge color cast in greys… but of course you must check that there is no app running that is interfering with DisplayCAL measurements (so it may not be panel’s fault if you find a troublesome app to blame). Since you are the only one with physical access to the laptop you should check it by yourself. People here can provide you with tools name like autoruns, but we cannot check what apps are running on that laptop.

If it is caused by rounding error is there a way to limit this problem?

AFAIK that kind of issues in TRC after calibration may be caused by:
    -GPU LUT limitations when making huge corrections in a 8bit LUT… no solution AFAIK
    -a “fast” calibration configuration, try slow approach in DisplayCAL (up to 96 grey measurements in final stage)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS