Laptop calibration proves to be tricky

Home Forums Help and Support Laptop calibration proves to be tricky

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Bergh
    Participant

Hi there

I’ve just bought a Spyder 5 to calibrate my desktop monitor and my laptop.

Target: 6500K, 120cd/m², gamma 2.2

My first attempt at calibrating my Samsung S27F350 resulted in an even curve in regards to green and blue channel, with red being significantly lower.
    I read on this forum that contrast could crush a specific channel (as the RGB slider on the monitor had no effect on the red channel during the pre-stage).
    Adjusting the contrast made things better and the monitor got calibrated to an even calibration curve and a good coverage of sRGB. (See attachments).

My laptop on the other hand proves to be a bit trickier.
    I’ve tried different settings, but the green and blue channel always comes out way below the red channel (red channel follows the target fairly well).
    The only way to achieve a better curve and coverage so far has been to set whitepoint to “as measured”, but that gives a whitepoint at 8500k which is too cool compared to my target of 6500k on my desktop.

Any suggestions as to how to calibrate a laptop monitor is well received. Notebookcheck has calibrated this device during their review and it did pretty well. (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Miix-700-Convertible-Review.158501.0.html#toc-display). Their profile does however not work on my device as it results in a strong red color cast.

I’m currently doing another attempt with mode set to White LED, left interactive display unchecked with target whitepoint, brightness and gamma.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’ve tried different settings, but the green and blue channel always comes out way below the red channel (red channel follows the target fairly well). The only way to achieve a better curve and coverage so far has been to set whitepoint to “as measured”, but that gives a whitepoint at 8500k which is too cool compared to my target of 6500k on my desktop.

It’s quite normal for Laptops (and TN panel displays in general) to require stronger correction especially in the midtones to yield a neutral response (midtones are often too blue with regards to the whitepoint). Other than the implications on available tone values (and thus potential banding), this is of no real concern though (and there’s also not anything that could be done about it either).

Bergh
    Participant

I believe the issue is me not understanding the tools.

Does the calibration curve show how far off the monitor is to it’s target, or how much of an adjustment were done to reach the target?
    I believed it to be the first, but the measurement report shows a different story.

It seems to have been calibrated fairly well. Only whitepoint which seems to be off, but then again Im not sure why as the target was 6500K.

Attachments:

Bergh
    Participant

Not sure if the first measurement report I ran got contaminated by ambient light.

Here’s a report done in the same environment as the calibration. Whitepoint is closer to the target.

Edit: Mixed gamma and whitepoint.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Bergh.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does the calibration curve show how far off the monitor is to it’s target, or how much of an adjustment were done to reach the target?

The latter.

Bergh
    Participant

The latter.

Thanks! 🙂
    Makes sense when I think about it. With the desktop monitor I could adjust the colors in the interactive window, which would allow for an even curve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS