Is Spyder4Pro supported?

Home Forums Help and Support Is Spyder4Pro supported?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Frank Einstein
    Participant

Datacolor Spyder 4 is listed as a supported device for monitor calibration with DisplayCAL. I have a Datacolor Spyder4Pro. Is my device supported? (I am not sure what the difference is between the two , or if there is any).

Thanks for any clarity on this.

Patrick1978
    Participant

AFAIK the hardware for all Spyder 4 versions are basically the same.  The different versions just give you more options in the vender software.  This is true for most consumer grade colorimeters FWI.

So yes your device is supported.   Is it still as accurate as it was when it was new is questionable, and it has no support for newer display/backlight technologies.

Give it a try and if you’re happy with the results then great.

If not I’d recommend one of the Calibrite ColorChecker Display line of colorimeters (new brand name for X-rite I1 Display colorimeters)
    Although they are an over 10 year old design they are still better than the newest Spyders.  They have filters that don’t degrade over time (or at least much slower), can read dark patches more accurately and at lower luminance levels, and most importantly they easily support any new display/backlight technology as long as you have a spectral sample/correction for your display.

https://calibrite.com/product-category/photographers/

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS