Is it worth upgrading from Spyder 4 to Spyder 5

Home Forums General Discussion Is it worth upgrading from Spyder 4 to Spyder 5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

HarryYTM
    Participant

I am now owning a Spyder 4 and using it with DisplayCAL to calibrate my cheap-ish Philips IPS monitor. It would take approximately 22 seconds to measure each dark color patches.

There are few and almost none places that would sell other display calibrator such as ColorMunki Display in Hong Kong, most places only selling Spyder 5.

I have read some report that Spyder 5 only have little improvement over Spyder 4, I am wondering would Spyder 5 have better accuracy and a little bit faster calibrating speed than Spyder 4?

Is it worth using HKD $1200 upgrading to Spyder 5 Express for using with DisplayCAL?

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by HarryYTM.
    • This topic was modified 8 years ago by HarryYTM.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It is said that the Spyder 5 is somewhat more accurate, but the speed is identical to the Spyder 4.

HarryYTM
    Participant

I need more information other than the following link on the accuracy comparison on Spyder 4 vs Spyder 5, because a calibration need  more than 2 or 4 hours to finish. Besides calibration speed, do you think I should buy a Spyder 5  or save money for a ColorMunki Photo/Display etc…

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1997586-new-spyder-5-vs-i1display-pro-colormunki-display.html

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I need more information other than the following link on the accuracy comparison on Spyder 4 vs Spyder 5 […]

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1997586-new-spyder-5-vs-i1display-pro-colormunki-display.html

What Graeme said in post #3 should give a rough idea, although it’s not really any conclusive indication of performance in a general sense, only for that one specific instrument. I have no other sources of performance comparison.

Besides calibration speed, do you think I should buy a Spyder 5 or save money for a ColorMunki Photo/Display etc…

If I had a Spyder 4, I’m not sure if the Spyder 5 would be worth the upgrade for me personally (although in my case it’s not really a question because I have only the Spyder 5, not the Spyder 4), but ultimately it’s up to you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS