is it wise to buy X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus now in 2022

Home Forums General Discussion is it wise to buy X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus now in 2022

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

bogas
    Participant

Good afternoon all

I’m new to color measure devices  and recently i am usign 3 monitors and want to calibrate them to have same color level and i seen on ebay a lot fo X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus   or pro available and i want o ask you guys  if this is a good to go device and can i use let say calibrite  software on it as calibrite is new version of x-rite right ?

Can it be also used on windows 11 as one laptop at home has win 11 already 🙁

Or should I go with datacolor spiderX Elite ?

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Ther is no other alternative than a Xrite’s i1d3, unless you go to veru higher budget.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

The i1 Display Pro Plus/Calibrite ColorChecker Plus is still X-Rite’s flagship colorimeter. They only changed it’s name.

It works with CC Profiler, which is just a rebranded and updated version of i1 Profiler. The app has bugs and isn’t as stable as it should be, but most of the time it gets the job done.

As far as I know, X-Rite/Calibrited stores its calibration matrices in the calibration software, so they can be easily updated when new display technologies emerge. This is the reason why the iDisplay Pro and Pro Plus have been around for years.

Reportedly, Datacolor stores its calbration matrices in the hardware, so you have to buy a new device every time you buy a display of new kind, like Apple’s Liquid Retina XDR.

In other words, the i1 Display Pro Plus might be a better long-term investment than the Spyder X.

SirMaster
    Participant

The i1 Display Pro or Plus are still by far the best colorimeters basically anywhere near the price (under thousands).

Their current model names are Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro / Plus and they are exactly the same hardware and software, just a new branding label.

rik81h
    Participant

Hello, looking to buy a colorchecker display colorimter but i’m unsure as to which model given the price difference. I know the plus is 2000 nits and the display 1000 the latter being enough for the tv in question but is there something else that would require/be better in having the plus model?

TIA

Anonymous
    Inactive

i have the Calibrite ColorChecker Display and still can’t understand why i must use different software on their site (ccProfiler for plus and pro, and ccStudio for my calibrite display. What is the differences?

SirMaster
    Participant

i have the Calibrite ColorChecker Display and still can’t understand why i must use different software on their site (ccProfiler for plus and pro, and ccStudio for my calibrite display. What is the differences?

Artificial product limits to create a range of products at difference pricing.

The Display (non-Pro) model is the same hardware, but is firmware limited to about a 5x slower patch reading speed, and uses different unlock codes that are not compatible with the same software as the unlock codes for the Pro and Plus models.

However, the open source ArgyllCMS driver has unlock codes for all the meters, so all the different models can work with it.  But it can’t bypass the firmware patch reading rate limit.

There is a dll inject that you can use to make the Display model work with software that only has unlock codes for the Pro and Plus meters here:

https://github.com/ledoge/i1d3_hook

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by SirMaster.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your answer. I forgot to mention I work on Mac with M1 chip.

Christopher
    Participant

I like the headline of this thread; it seems so many things, without going into those things (buying house, renting) is a horrible time now.

I own the Spyder 4 which I may sell and currently the iDisplay Pro which I like much better over the Spyder but the Spyder is a more affordable alternative.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Christopher.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Christopher.

Steve-FL
    Participant

What is the difference between the Pro and Plus? Price wise they are pretty close now a days…

SirMaster
    Participant

The Plus is rated up to 2000 nits while the Pro is rated for 1000 nits.

Steve-FL
    Participant

OK thank you. At the moment I only do SDR work so it sounds like the Pro will work for me. I have a Spyder 5 Pro but it’s so slow. I wonder if the PRO will be much faster…

SirMaster
    Participant

OK thank you. At the moment I only do SDR work so it sounds like the Pro will work for me. I have a Spyder 5 Pro but it’s so slow. I wonder if the PRO will be much faster…

The Calibrite Pro is much faster than the Spyder 5.  The Spyder X2 is also much faster than the Spyder 5 and even faster than the Calibrite Pro.  But the Calibrite is more accurate and more future proof than the Spyder X2, with its ability to use spectral corrections and such, so it’s the better buy.

Steve-FL
    Participant

That’s music to my ears my friend, thank you…

Vincent
    Participant

It seems that i1Profiler 3.7.1 is the latest i1Profiler that will have i1 colorimeter support. They want us to migrate to that sh*t called “calibruite profiler” and you must pay (~ $10) if you have an xrite (not calibrite) colorimeter becasuse they use  a serial number auth mechanism in addition to “i1d3 unlock code”, but they are so lame that app is written in node.js so it may be possible to “bypass” it.

Also these “calibrite profile” is so bad that it is deceiving users. When you set “GB-LED” correction it is actually using “RGB LED” and when you choose “PFS phosphor” it is actually using “RG_phosphor / GBLED”. It is an actual hadcoded remapping to deceive users instead of paying Xrite royalties for proper EDR. And teh worst of it is that since it’s node.js you can see the actual code and how they’re deceiving you.

Anyway, even with these cons, i1d3 is still better and future proof that SPyder X2 thanks to ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS